Need a PTO adapter...any ideas?

/ Need a PTO adapter...any ideas? #1  

mustangsallysdad

Platinum Member
I have a 4' Howse rotary mower with a 1 3/8" smooth male gearbox shaft...the type with a retaining ring on the end and a 1/2" center hole for the shear bolt...my dilemma is that I have a newly rebuilt slip clutch that I would like to run on it, but it has a 1 3/8" 6 spline female yoke...does anyone have a source for an adapter that is 1 3/8" female smooth to 1 3/8" male 6 spline? My slip clutch is designed for use on a 1 3/8" 6 spline male yoke and has 2 opposing 1/2" grade 8 fine thread bolts that ride in the shaft recess. Thanks all.

/ Need a PTO adapter...any ideas?
Thanks, but I've already been there...no go.

/ Need a PTO adapter...any ideas? #4  
Are you describing the cardan shaft (what most of us call the PTO shaft) that runs between the cutter and tractor, or a shaft on the gearbox itself?
How does your current "PTO" shaft connect to the cutter's gearbox?

I think I have seen what you are looking for (1.375 smooth female to splined male) at Tractor Supply when I bought a PTO extention. Your local store may not have had them in stock. Try Tractor Supply's website.

No, TSC doesn't carry them...I need 1 3/8" smooth female to 1 3/8" 6 spline male. I may have to make my own or at least machine the lands out of the female side of the slip clutch yoke and drill a centered 1/2" hole to secure it.

/ Need a PTO adapter...any ideas? #6  
No, TSC doesn't carry them...I need 1 3/8" smooth female to 1 3/8" 6 spline male. I may have to make my own or at least machine the lands out of the female side of the slip clutch yoke and drill a centered 1/2" hole to secure it.
That is what Id do .. and adapter would lengthen the assembly and make it less mechanically sound. Try to machine a close slide fit and thenuse Loctite 638 retaining compound on the slip fit to eliminate all play and wear on shaft and bolt. 638 loses strength significantly up near boiling - You will be able to remove it with a gear puller and 300degree heat if you ever need to.
larry

/ Need a PTO adapter...any ideas? #8  
Could you just put the slip clutch on the other end of the shaft? I.e. put the slip clutch between the tractor and shaft vs. between the shaft and the mower.

Could you just put the slip clutch on the other end of the shaft? I.e. put the slip clutch between the tractor and shaft vs. between the shaft and the mower.
Sub compact tractor...not enough room, thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll probably turn out the female end of the clutch on the lathe and drill a 1/2" hole for a bolt.

/ Need a PTO adapter...any ideas? #10  
Sub compact tractor...not enough room, thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll probably turn out the female end of the clutch on the lathe and drill a 1/2" hole for a bolt.

I know each tractor is different, but I put an overrunning clutch between the tractor and shaft on my very small subcompact Iseki TX1500. That tractor is only a 15 hp PTO and was very small.

Turning it out on a lathe works too.