Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member mustangsallysdad's Avatar

Default Need a PTO adapter...any ideas?

I have a 4' Howse rotary mower with a 1 3/8" smooth male gearbox shaft...the type with a retaining ring on the end and a 1/2" center hole for the shear bolt...my dilemma is that I have a newly rebuilt slip clutch that I would like to run on it, but it has a 1 3/8" 6 spline female yoke...does anyone have a source for an adapter that is 1 3/8" female smooth to 1 3/8" male 6 spline? My slip clutch is designed for use on a 1 3/8" 6 spline male yoke and has 2 opposing 1/2" grade 8 fine thread bolts that ride in the shaft recess. Thanks all.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Default Re: Need a PTO adapter...any ideas?

Try Tractor Supply, they have numerous adapters, don't know if they have the particular one you need.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Thanks, but I've already been there...no go.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Are you describing the cardan shaft (what most of us call the PTO shaft) that runs between the cutter and tractor, or a shaft on the gearbox itself?
    How does your current "PTO" shaft connect to the cutter's gearbox?

I think I have seen what you are looking for (1.375 smooth female to splined male) at Tractor Supply when I bought a PTO extention. Your local store may not have had them in stock. Try Tractor Supply's website.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

No, TSC doesn't carry them...I need 1 3/8" smooth female to 1 3/8" 6 spline male. I may have to make my own or at least machine the lands out of the female side of the slip clutch yoke and drill a centered 1/2" hole to secure it.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsallysdad View Post
    No, TSC doesn't carry them...I need 1 3/8" smooth female to 1 3/8" 6 spline male. I may have to make my own or at least machine the lands out of the female side of the slip clutch yoke and drill a centered 1/2" hole to secure it.
    That is what Id do .. and adapter would lengthen the assembly and make it less mechanically sound. Try to machine a close slide fit and thenuse Loctite 638 retaining compound on the slip fit to eliminate all play and wear on shaft and bolt. 638 loses strength significantly up near boiling - You will be able to remove it with a gear puller and 300degree heat if you ever need to.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

Might want to 'paw-around' in this website!

PTO ADAPTERS - Agri Supply

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Could you just put the slip clutch on the other end of the shaft? I.e. put the slip clutch between the tractor and shaft vs. between the shaft and the mower.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    Could you just put the slip clutch on the other end of the shaft? I.e. put the slip clutch between the tractor and shaft vs. between the shaft and the mower.
    Sub compact tractor...not enough room, thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll probably turn out the female end of the clutch on the lathe and drill a 1/2" hole for a bolt.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsallysdad View Post
    Sub compact tractor...not enough room, thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll probably turn out the female end of the clutch on the lathe and drill a 1/2" hole for a bolt.
    I know each tractor is different, but I put an overrunning clutch between the tractor and shaft on my very small subcompact Iseki TX1500. That tractor is only a 15 hp PTO and was very small.

Turning it out on a lathe works too.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast