Bobcat CT230 won't start

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start #1  

galaxie428

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I was using my CT230 the last couple of nights to haul firewood and push brush out of the way. It was running fine, I moved it so I could get the truck and when I got back to it, it wouldn't start. The engine is turning over but that is it. My fuel gauge said 1/4 tank but when I opened the cap to look, I didn't see anything in there. Maybe it goes down on the oposite side where I can't see, I don't know.

So, I took the truck home to get some fuel and I fill it up and still nothing. Any ideas on what I need to check to find out why it won't start?

If I can't get it started, I am not sure how I am going to get it home since the FEL is on the ground and so is the rear ballast although I guess I can just unhook it. But, how do I get the FEL up off the ground so I can winch it onto a trailer?

Forgive my ignorance if this is a simple question but this is my first tractor and I don't know that much about them other than how to use them.

Thanks,
Jason

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start #2  
Did you bump anything on?...PTO?...is it in neutral (not being smart)...Could also have a seat saftey acting up.

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start #3  
I had an issue when using my CT230 to mow in the woods with lots of undergrowth. Everything was working fine, then I set the parking brake and shut off the engine while I got off to clear away some logs. When I got back on the tractor (going thru ALL the required motions - brake set, PTO dis-engaged, etc.) NOTHING HAPPENED!
I checked the seat switch, fuses, relays, wiring, etc.... THEN looked under the travel control pedal... and found a stick shoved between the pedal and the slot in the floorboard. This was keeping the "safety" device from allowing the tractor to start - thinking I had the travel control pedal operated while trying to start the tractor engine.
I felt dumb - but at least I will remember it NEXT time!
Good luck - hope your issue is as simple.:):)

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start
I don't know that I bumped anything but it is possible. And, I will check for sticks or something else that may be lodged. I sure hope it is something simple like one of those two!

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start #5  
The safety switches will prevent the tractor from even turning over, so if it's cranking but not starting, I wouldn't suspect one of the switches. Take a look at the fuel filter on the right side and see if the glass is full of fuel or air. If your gauge is off and you ran out of fuel, you'll need to purge the air out of the system. There's instructions in the manual to do that with the purge valve on top of the fuel filter. Shouldn't have to bleed the lines.

-rus-

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start
Well unfortunately, all the easy fixes you guys mentioned did not fix the starting issue. I called my BC dealer and he had me try pretty much the same things you guys mentioned. He said I am still under warranty so I guess I will have to make a trip up there today to drop my tractor off.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start #7  
I agree with the earlier post. I ran out of diesel ONCE in my CUT and I had to purge the fuel system. Took me over an hour and was a pain. I bet you have air in the fuel system.

Keep us posted..

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start #8  
The fuel tank does drop off to one side, so there is a good chance there was still fuel in it, you just can't see it. I had my fuel bowl crack in my CK30 and had to change it, it was fairly simple to purge the air out and get it running again. How many hrs on the tractor? If you look in the Kioti forums, you will see there have been some issues with the fuel shutoff valve in the injection pumps. Hopefully it is something simple and you won't have to change/rebuild the IP, warranty coverage or not.

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start #9  
With those Kioti tanks, at least mine, the fuel gauge is not a reliable indicator of the actual fuel in the tank. I always fill mine when it reads 1/2 full because from that point until it's empty happens very fast.

/ Bobcat CT230 won't start #10  
With those Kioti tanks, at least mine, the fuel gauge is not a reliable indicator of the actual fuel in the tank. I always fill mine when it reads 1/2 full because from that point until it's empty happens very fast.

Didn't think of running out of fuel..Do the Bobcats have an auto purge like Kubota?...Just turn the key on a couple of times for 30sec and the air is purged.