Can wheel hub be repaired?

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #11  
Why remove the tire the welding would be far enough away from the rubber..

If you had seen the video of the tire exposion from the very short time of welding you would know that welding with the tire on the rim is gonna turn out bad. Even unseating the bead isnt good enough. Do a search for pyrolosis ( spelling might be wrong)

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #13  
to all of you claiming that the tire must come off the rim.. did any of you actually look at the pictures??? the center can be removed from the rim with 4 bolts... take the center to your work bench and have at it.. leave the poor tire seated onthe rim where it should be... :(

soundguy

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #14  
Good point soundguy...I was carried away with the explosive part ..

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #15  
Forgive me if everyone knows this, but: Be sure to take the tire off before welding. There was a thread on that a while back.

Learned something form this post about what stresses tires, tnx to all !

Pete

A very important point!!!
I couldn't find the thread, but there was a link to a safety site that discussed the dangers of heating a wheel/tire assembly. The example they showed catastrophically failed two days after the initial heating. The failure would have severely injured or killed someone near the wheel tire assembly.

That was a very good post, epppete!!!

Last edited:
   / Can wheel hub be repaired? #16  
i would grind slot in cracks weld from back, then make a 1/4 plate od to meet that radius on hub cut big hole out in center, then weld it to rim drill out bolt holes, u mite need longer bolts ,be shure to use cold roll steel not hot roll.

/ Can wheel hub be repaired?
Thanks for the advice. I know nothing about welding. My neighbor suggested what several have said about grinding, welding and put a plate on, that is probably what I will have done.
My neighbor knows a guy with a machine shop that is good at welding and fabricating.

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #18  
The front wheel on my 5660 Agco Allis four wheel drive is showing signs of a hairline crack around the 6 bolt holes. See Attached pictures. Can this be fixed any way or will I need a new hub?
A new hub is $550. plus shipping , I have tried to find a used one with no luck .
I always say, you can't ruin junk. I'd try to fix it.

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #19  
Id weld cracks from one side, and scab a plate to the other the size of the center circle area

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #20  
i can't make it out real clearly, but is that the crack that looks to run nearly all the way around the outside of the bolt holes? looking at the condition of the rest of the wheel it's hard to believe that it's been stressed enough to crack that badly without any catastrophic damage elsewhere to the rim - especially on a front wheel. forgive me for asking, but it does go into the metal and not just in the paint/powdercoating?

if it's cracked on one side, i'd just have the crack cleaned and welded. grind as necessary to put the lugs back on. if it looks to be cracked nearly through, possibly reinforce it by welding another plate to the wheel. check and see if anyone around has a cnc burning table that can cut you a precision center that can be welded in. today's plasma cutters, when coupled with a cnc controller can cut good quality bolt holes - especially for a low speed application. i've seen people on ebay making cnc parts for around $1 a pound. even if you used 1/4" plate, you'd only be in about $10-15 plus shipping for a piece that is a perfect fit into the center of that wheel.