Can wheel hub be repaired?

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
The front wheel on my 5660 Agco Allis four wheel drive is showing signs of a hairline crack around the 6 bolt holes. See Attached pictures. Can this be fixed any way or will I need a new hub?
A new hub is $550. plus shipping , I have tried to find a used one with no luck .

Attachments

• agco 001.jpg
    agco 001.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 235
  • agco 002.jpg
    agco 002.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 372
   / Can wheel hub be repaired? #2  
Hello
At that price it would be well worth a try.
You would probably need a machine shop to make you a new center,
and then have it welded in place.
I would clamp it to the existing one and and have welded on the OD of the
plate to keep it square.
I think that if you try to repair the cracks only, they will crack again.

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #3  
A machine shop would make it easier, but in reality it can be fixed a couple of ways. One way would be to grind out the crack, weld it back up. Or make a larger diameter circle and drill the bolt holes, being careful to make the holes "exact" and use a tool to champer the edges just like your wheel is, then sandwich the wheel in between them. Add some really good security, and do both! Then weld the disc to the rim!(Note, the side that matches up to the wheel should have as much surface contact as possible, so the dimples and ridges need to be matched together.so they don't interfere with each other)
Contact a couple of the tractor used parts (junk yards) and see if you can find another set.
Post the EXACT size of the wheel, measure it's offset, rim width, bolt hole pattern and the tire size and see if anybody has a match, maybe in a different color tractor.( or anything that uses wheels) My JD has the tires off a tanker trailer on the front end right now, so use what works.
David from jax

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #4  
Hmmm,
16"? front wheels...
I think I have a set of 16" rear rims out in the shed...originally came off a compact tractor that I purchased so I could put "duals" on my Ford 1100 FWD. Cute but somebody offered me more money that it was worth for just the tires, so I sold them. Still have the rims, methinks.
David from jax

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #5  
You can add some life to it by getting a circular spacer made up for both sides and making a sandwich out of them. Make it as large as will fit in the hub.

The wheel has been overstressed probably by too much wheel offset. I suggest you reset the front wheel track to rim and hub spider positions such that the center of the tire is in the same plane as the center of the hub bearings. The bending moment caused by a lateral offset is pretty hard on wheels like these. All you really need is a new spider, though, the wheel seems fine. Most flat wheel disks like these should use lugs with washers. Too low an air pressure combined with too much toe in (or out) can cause this type of over-stressing. Its not so much overloading as the number of cycles (revolutions).

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #6  
The front wheel on my 5660 Agco Allis four wheel drive is showing signs of a hairline crack around the 6 bolt holes. See Attached pictures. Can this be fixed any way or will I need a new hub?
A new hub is $550. plus shipping , I have tried to find a used one with no luck .

I'd weld it (stop drill the ends of the crack first) and add a doubler plate to the outer surface (weld it on). This isn't a high speed application, so perfect balance isn't required.
Just keep an eye out for a replacement wheel. You may need it sooner or later.

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #7  
Forgive me if everyone knows this, but: Be sure to take the tire off before welding. There was a thread on that a while back.

Learned something form this post about what stresses tires, tnx to all !

Pete

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #8  
I have had both my front rims work loose and chew up the mounting holes.
Both times it was the right front!
Made me new centers with 1/4" stock and welding to the outer rim.
While center cut out and careful mounting hole alignment was a challange. I was successful.

So. if you can weld, it can be done.

In my case new or even used was not an option as Mitsubishi parts are rare and very spendy + shipping.

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #9  
Why remove the tire the welding would be far enough away from the rubber..

/ Can wheel hub be repaired? #10  
Hub?? we call them centers.. but anyhow.. i agree with the others.. weld the cracks up then scab a plate on to it probably as large as the big part of the center circle then line the holes up and drill em.. then weld it in. not sure how much stud you have to work with.. so something like 1/8 on each side.. or maybee 3/16

soundguy