Plow parts

/ Plow parts #1  

houston49

am looking for a place to buy parts for an old Ford three bottom plow model101 and component # 10-341. This plow has coulters and that metal wheel thing on the back. As you can tell, I do not know much about plows.Any help would be appreciated. Also, I have read something about landslides, but do not know what that is. The shears are really worn out. Will I need other parts as well?

/ Plow parts #2  
I just restored an identical three bottom. Let me explain the parts. First the bottom includes the "frog" which is the main frame that all the cutting edges are bolted to. Hopefully the frog is not worn as it is not designed to be replaced. A frog gets worm when the replaceable wear parts are used way too long and the frog is allowed to drag on soil. (Mine was worn a little but still was solid enough to hold the parts securely)

As far as the replaceable parts, the first to wear is the plowshare, or the lower cutting edge. These are easy to find at major tractor stores (Valu-bilt, Tractor Supply, etc.) Valu-bilt part #FF144RS, but several other shares will fit as these are fairly universal as far as Ford plows go. When you remove parts, look for a number stamped on the back, as this may help you in locating replacements, but new parts may have different numbers depending on the brand. The next most common needed part is the shin, or the vertical crescent shaped leading edge. These are harder to find. I had to buy a box of six. The Oliver part EP7490 at Valu-bilt may work, but I am not sure. Maybe someone else can offer you a source, and if not I will try to find my old records and see where I found them. The large curved plate is the moldboard, but these rarely require replacing but are also fairly available but expect to pay $100 each. The landside (sometimes called landslides) is the retangular piece that slides parallel the the furrow. Old Ford plows had two sizes. A shorter one on the front one or two bottoms and a longer one on the rear bottom. Newer plows had smaller replaceable "wear pads" but old landsides were one piece. These are very hard to find. They could easily be made however or even repaired by welding a "scab" on. I finally found some but only after many calls and searching, and they only had two left.

The round wheel on the back is the "rolling landside" It helps the plow track straight and resist lateral movement. Again this is almost impossible to find. I found one at a place in Pennsyvania and cost well over $100 without the bearings. Mine did not have coulters (the round cutting discs in front of the shares) so I don't know much about them, but expect new parts to be scarce. Some plows had other bolt on accessories

Post some pictures, closeups of each bottom, from several perspectives. I would advise first pressure washing it so you can see. Then use a sidegrinder and cut off the rusty nuts and punch out the bolts. Start with only the shares and shins, as I am sure you can find those. Hopefully, that's all you will need to replace. New bolts are cheap and easy to find at Tractor Supply, and come in two head styles and various lengths. Match the style to your new parts.

Get a catalog from Valu-bilt (888-828-3276) as it has a good diagram of these parts. Hope this helps. I will try to monitor this thread to help you along. Pictures would help.

/ Plow parts #3  
TSC in my area carries the shares and shins in stock. Agri Supply also carries these parts. From Agri Supply, you'll want the F14-4RS share, item number 32009. The shin item number is 19035 which is a replacement for the ford number 104403. I tried all my local dealers (JD, Case, NH) for landsides, with no luck. I tried Messicks.com, an advertiser on this site, and they could order single landsides both front and rear sizes. I'm sure they can also get shares and shins since they are easy to find. Messicks prices are reasonable, and my new landsides should be here today on UPS.