Ford 800 fuel problem

/ Ford 800 fuel problem #1  

dfoley

My '57 Ford 800 runs for a few seconds and then dies. I assumed it was a fuel problem so I rebuilt the carb using the rebuild kit. Replaced hose that runs from tank to carb. Took off elbow at bottom of tank and cleaned out. Drained old fuel and put new fuel in. Put all back together.

Moment of truth... Tractor only runs when for a few seconds after I spray starting fluid in cylinders. (Suggesting fuel problems again!?) Fuel filter bowl is full of gas. Plugs seem dry after a cranks. If fuel is in bowl, what could be the problem? In other words, fuel seems to be getting to carb, but fuel doesn't seem to be getting from carb to plugs, or at least not in the right amount. Any suggestions? Troubleshooting? Please let me know. Thanks.

/ Ford 800 fuel problem #2  
How long since the tractor ran correctly? If it has been sitting up for a while then you may have some clogged passages in the carb. Did you blow out all of the passages when you rebuilt the carb? Did you let the carb sit in the cleaning fluid long enough? Did you check the float bowl in the carb to make sure that fuel was getting into the carb? Do you have a leak on the attachement point to the intake manifold? If you hold your hand over the carb opening when cranking do you feel a good strong pull?

If you have fuel in the bowl and the passages are not clogged, then you should be able to flood out the carb by cranking with your hand over the opening.

I hope this helps a little.

/ Ford 800 fuel problem #3  
I'm sure that since you rebuilt the carb that the float has been adjusted to the right height and also that the needle and seat have been replaced. So that would exclude a sticky needle valve. Sooooo, I'm wondering if the float may have sprung a leak.....Was this a sudden happening? Or did it faulter, spit and sputter and then die? Or did it just not start one day after setting for a few days?

/ Ford 800 fuel problem
thanks for the response...
the tractor ran fine and then sat for a while and then one day began to stall after running for a few minutes.
As for float bowl, how would I check for fuel? should I unbolt it to see if there's fuel in there now? Where should I put my hand to flood it out? I've done this with my snowmobile but where on the tractor?

/ Ford 800 fuel problem
thanks for the response...The needle and seat have been replaced, indeed. And, it seemed that the old one was a bit sticky, so I thought for sure that all would be well when I put the new one in. I even hammered a bit on the outside of the carb with the new needle to make sure it, too, was not sticking.
I left settings as they were after I replaced them, i.e. 1.5 turns out, etc. Otherwise, not really sure how to adjust float height?
So, you think that maybe the float is leaking... I cleaned it up a bit and didn't see anything, but could take a better look.

As for how this happened. It ran fine, then one day, after sitting for a while, it started and only ran for a minute or so and then stalled. Ever sicne then it only runs for a bit and then stalls.

/ Ford 800 fuel problem #6  
I don't know if they have the same thing on the 800 but on the N series there is a screen affixed to the brass elbow on the carburator. Unscrew the elbow and if there is a screen on it, remove it. The brass elbow looks like a standard hardware store grade fitting so I didn't have any idea there was a filter on it. It drove me buggy the first time I ran into the problem.

/ Ford 800 fuel problem #7  
Sounds like it will start and run until the fuel in the carb is consumed then it starves out.

/ Ford 800 fuel problem #8  
Assuming it is a gravity feed fuel system:
I would follow the fuel path starting at the carb inlet. Break the fitting on the inlet to the carb. That will tell you if you are getting lots of fuel flow to carb. Then go looking in which direction indicated. Others have provided all the information required for this.
Note: don't go crank over the tractor if there is any fuel leaking or on engine. It could catch on fire. Also do not spray either or gas into carb if tractor is running. This could result in flames.
Egon

/ Ford 800 fuel problem #9  
I agree with Don. I would disassemble the carb again and let it soak in carb cleaner for a couple of days, then blow out all air passages you can find with a compressor or "canned air". If you are not using fuel stabilizer, I strongly recommend it.

/ Ford 800 fuel problem #10  
I had a Ford 4000 that would not run when the fuel got low because the screen in the tank (part of the fuel cutoff assy) was about half clogged. Is your fuel tank full? I know you said the bowl was full, but the feed to the bowl and from the bowl is at the top, so it could be that fuel is not flowing into the bowl fast enough to keep it completely full while the tractor is running. You couldn't tell this by looking at the bowl. Also, most Marvel-Shebler carburetors have a drain plug at the bottom you can remove and gasoline should flow freely from the float bowl if you have all your petcocks open to the carburetor. I have a repair manual for the Ford 800 and it says all carbs on '55-60 Ford tractors are the same (gas models). I'm pretty sure you got instructions with your rebuild kit, but if I can scan any part of the manual for you, let me know and I'll try to do it.