Block Heater

/ Block Heater #1  

Ozarker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I've never owned anything with a block heater but think my little Yanmar might benefit from one since it has no cold starting aid. Can't install a freeze plug type so I suppose I have to use one of the magnet types. Is there another option?

Has anyone ever used that type? Do they work well?

/ Block Heater #2  
Yeah, you have quite a few options. Up here in the cold country we do things like build a fire under the tractor!!! Ha! Ha! On the serious side there are lower radiator hose heatersthat are installed in the lower hose- oil pan heaters- these work good in conjunction with a coolant heater. There are what is known as a "tank type" heater that ties in with external plumbing such as heater hoses - if tractor is equiped with cab and heater. Probably the best for yours is going to be the lower hose heater. Question-- why is a block heater out ??? These seem to me to be the best of all types. Least problems- most efficient, etc.

/ Block Heater #3  
IMO the best heater is a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=53913&BQ=jcw2/>Zerostart</A>. It circulates the coolant through the entire engine as it is heated. There is no cold spots. The engine will start like it was just shut off ever in the coldest weather.

/ Block Heater #4  
Let me re-phrase question. Why is a freeze-plug type heater out?? Hydraman

/ Block Heater
The little 2 cy Yanmar doesn't have any freeze plugs.

/ Block Heater
Thanks Jerry. That looks like a great unit but it needs to tie into the heater hoses for the passenger compartment heater. Won't work on mine..............I don't have the necessary 3/4 or 5/8 heater hose outlets.

I might get one of those for my truck.

/ Block Heater #7  
Ozarker,
I installed a lower hose heater on my YM1700. Got it from NAPA. Depending on your model, it might be the 1 1/4" size. Hard to find at other auto parts places.

Jerry

/ Block Heater
Thanks. That sounds about right for hose size.

Does it work well for you? Does it just heat the water and let natural convection distribute it or does it actually circulate the water?

As I see it, I have two choices, heat the water or heat the oil. To heat the water, the only option is a unit like you have. To heat the oil there are three choices. Dip stick heater, magnetic heater or the type that is epoxyed onto the bottom of the oil pan.

I was hoping to get some input (pro/com) on all those types by some who had tried them.

/ Block Heater #9  
Ozarker,
I have not had much chance to try it.........it never got that cold here in Ohio last year. And there was little time to use the tractor due to little snow.
The only thing I would add to the other type of heaters, IMHO, why heat just the oil? Heat the whole block with the water and the oil still up in the engine will be warm as well.

It does not circulate the water, just let natural convection do it for me, as this is in a Thermo siphon system anyway.

Jerry

/ Block Heater #10  
I tried a dipstick heater on something once! There was something plastic on the dipstick tube [censored]'y and successfully melted it and then promptly threw the dipstick heater in the junk!!! But evidently some people have some luck with them. I think IMO that the lower hose heater is going to be your best bet. Had one on an old Case tractor ( diesel) That worked fine - I just didnt have enough wattage with itso had to leave it plugged in a long time. Good luck.