Fuel system contamination

/ Fuel system contamination #1  

IMCA38

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1225 w/loader, Case 1840 SS, Ransomes 723D mower
I recently bought a used Ransomes front deck mower with the 23HP Perkins diesel engine. Not knowing the exact history of the machine, I decided to service it before getting into heavy duty use.
After changing the oil, I turned my attention to the fuel system. I was alarmed when I dropped the fuel sediment bowl and it was about 1/3 water. There were also big globs of "crap" in there as well. To me, this is abnormal, as I have done the same thing on my tractor a few times, and was amazed at how clean that fuel system was. It also has a spin on fuel filter and an in-line filter, both of which I'm replacing. However, I'm wondering if I need to go ahead and drain the tank and flush out the lines as well? If so, what is acceptable to use to flush through the lines?
Thanks!

Todd

/ Fuel system contamination #2  
Yes I would flush it. I have never done it but I would try E85 since it is 85% ethanol to suck up any water.

Can you pull the tank? Have you considered adjusting the valves at this time.

If the mower has set a lot without a full tank of gas over the years one can see a lot of water form in a gas tank. Those of us with motorhomes with big tanks have learned to cram them full before we park for the down season.

I would run Sea Foam for the first few tanks and make sure full tank for storage time is Sea Foam treated.

/ Fuel system contamination #3  
I have never done it but I would try E85 since it is 85% ethanol to suck up any water

That should make his DIESEL run really fast, but NOT very long ;)

/ Fuel system contamination #4  
You may be correct. I just used regular gas to flush the red dye and stuff out of out diesel tank with our Perkins engine.

Diesel will not cut diesel build up. :D

I will test my ethanol theory next time but I agree gas may cut the crud better than alcohol.

/ Fuel system contamination #5  
Some fuel pumps may not appreciate alcohol.:D

Draining the tank is a good idea. You may be able to check for any build up or crud and see if it has an outlet screen. Pull some fuel lines and see what they look like inside and clean if necessary.

Fill it up with new diesel and add a conditioner that does not contain alcohol.:D

/ Fuel system contamination #6  
G'day clean out the water trap and fit a new filter and go mowing :thumbsup: Do you know how long it has been since it was changed last? Run the machine for five to ten hours and recheck if it is full of crud again then i would think about pulling tank and flushing. Quite often i see the same thing come into the workshop and treat them in the same way, if you can pull the tap off the bottom of the tank easy enough the you may want to but i really would not worry the trap is doing what it was designed to do and stopping the crud from going any further.

Jon