B7100 Fan problem..

/ B7100 Fan problem.. #1  

HammerFour

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100, JD Gator 6X4, Kubota L2350, JD 14T Baler, JD 894A Side Delivery Rake, IH 100 Balance Sickle Mower
The fan on my B7100 stops spinning after a few minutes of operation. I assume this is because the bearings in it are worn and need replaced. I bought this tractor used a month ago, any chance I caused this by tightening the fan belt up to what I thought was the correct amount of play? ( I even used the manual. )

Has anyone else had this problem? If so how hard was it to get the fan/generator off? My dealer quoted about $40 in parts and labor to press new bearings in if I bring them the fan assembly...

The other hard part of this is that the tractor is about 1.5 hours away from me at my in-laws farm, so I am trying to help my father-in-law get this repaired without seeing the problem myself.

Tim

/ B7100 Fan problem.. #2  
If you can remove the belt than move the fan w/your hand to see how much play there is..shouldn't be any,also if you can turn the fan by hand w/the belt off than you got bearing problems.Double check to see if the fan itself might come loose by a nut & bolt or hollow pin.

/ B7100 Fan problem.. #3  
On My 7100 the fan bolts to the front of the dynamo. To get the dynamo off you have to take the rad and all the front stuff off. Not really a big job. Just aggrivating. Now comes the fun stuff. The dynamo is part of the water jaket and looks like it will come off real easy. It does, but there is one nut that gets hidden behind the casting that is impossible to reach with an ordinary wrench or socket. If you bend and grind down the appropriate combination wrench it will come off very easily. The real tricky part is getting it threaded properly when you put it all back together. At this point it be best tender young ears are not present. What would be nice is to have the design engineer standing beside you.
Egon

/ B7100 Fan problem.. #4  
I have a B6100 and the dynamo quit working. I looked in the Workshop Manual (covers B6100 and B7100) and the instructions include a complete disassembly of the top of the engine. So I decided it would be easier to throw a battery charger on the battery every now and then....

Seeing your description, Egon, makes me think that the engine disassembly may be needed only to give access to that one hidden nut. I would much rather grind down a wrench. Thanks for the hint.

/ B7100 Fan problem.. #5  
Dynamo Problem.
There is no engine dissasembly. You just have to take of the rads and all that entails to gain access to the front of the fan.
Many mechanics have tools that are misshapen, ground down and otherwise looking wierd. They all just one specific purpose.
Try and use a 12 point combination wrench if possible.
Egon

/ B7100 Fan problem..
Ok, we got the generator ( the dealer calls it a dynamo ) off last night, no real problems except for that one nut that is behind the lower lip of the housing. We ended up bending a cheap 10mm wrench into a modified z and that did the trick nicely.

Now we are in search of a dealer that has one of these $150 things in stock but not having much luck, my father-in-law is checking with a large tractor service department to see if they can press out the old bearings and push new ones in since the charging mechanism is in good shape.

Also, the front end loader on this tractor has it's own seperate hydraulic (sp?) system driven off the front crankshaft pulley thru a short shaft with doublewidth chain driving the sprockets. Does anyone have an idea for what loader model number or type this is? The dealer ordered me a book for the loader but the book doesn't match this type....

/ B7100 Fan problem.. #7  
If the B7100 about a 1995,the loader should be 1630C

/ B7100 Fan problem..
Ok, new update.

My father-in-law got new bearings put in the dynamo at a local tractor dealer in Ft Scott, KS. It turned out to be a pretty easy task from what I heard. We reassembled everything ( no parts left over, I was suprised ), filled the radiator and fired it up.

The tractor ran great, and was actually quieter and smoother sounding, I assume the old bearing must have been making quite a whirring noise that I only noticed now that it was absent.

Thanks for the replies, we are quite proud of ourselves for making it thru this first tractor repair. Now let's just hope there isn't another one for a good long while....( knock on wood )

/ B7100 Fan problem.. #9  
Glad all went well for the both of you /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ B7100 Fan problem.. #10  
We all like happy endings here on this board.

Congratulations!

Kelvin