B2910 Mid-PTO Gear Shift Lever

/ B2910 Mid-PTO Gear Shift Lever #1  

Elkoboy

Tractor
Kubota B2910
Since you guys were so good at helping me fix my last problem I'll go to you again (thanks again btw for the responses on the leaky plug - the thread sealant worked great!).

On my B2910 the Mid-PTO Gear Shift Lever is disengaging now and again as I mow. It happens when I'm moving over rough ground and I appear to be bouncing it right out of engagement. It didn't do this last year, but seems to be doing it more and more.

Is this a serious problem? Is there an adjustment I can make to correct this?

Also, what is the recommended place to get a service manual for this tractor? Should I go to my dealer or can I get it cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks again in advance!

/ B2910 Mid-PTO Gear Shift Lever #2  
Elkoboy
There is very little information in the workshop manual for Mid-PTO. The Illustrated Parts List shows more.
To service a <font color=orange>KUBOTA</font color=orange> you will need both. Check prices at your local dealer. Then check and <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorsmart.com/>Tractorsmart for availability and price. My dealer does not stock manuals it took about 2 weeks to get them.
Check the Mid-PTO linkage. Something may be loose or bent not allowing Mid-PTO to fully engage.
Removing the Mid-PTO from tractor will require draining transmission oil.
If your tractor is still under warranty I would leave this for the dealer to repair.

/ B2910 Mid-PTO Gear Shift Lever
Thanks for the reply again Ron,

Earlier I had checked the linkage and assumed it was a problem therein. But I couldn't see any adjustments for that, so I was stumped.

After reading your reply, I decided to look again in more detail. I checked the linkages (tough to see under there!) and couldn't see any problem again. After fiddling around engaging and disengaging the mid-pto and examining the levers and linkages I quickly found (much to my relief - I'm out of warranty since spring) that the plastic cover on the inside of the fender was preventing the mid-pto lever from moving all the way into the engaged position.

Attached is the pic with the marker drawn on where the mid-pto lever was hitting the plastic cover.

Not seeing another fix for this problem, I took the plastic cover off, trimmed it with a scroll saw, and replaced it.

Worked like a charm! Now the mid-pto lever engages fully and I'm sure the problem is fixed.

The tractor was in for a major repair last fall (one of the tapped holes for the top link on the 3 point broke off the casing) and for whatever reason the alignment of the lever reference the plastic guard was different. I didn't use the mower deck last fall (and the mid-pto) until this summer so I didn't notice the problem until recently.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 48-191416-mid-ptoleverbefore.jpg
    48-191416-mid-ptoleverbefore.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 158
   / B2910 Mid-PTO Gear Shift Lever
After!

Attachments

• 48-191418-mid-ptoleverafter.jpg
    48-191418-mid-ptoleverafter.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 136