Ford 1920 clutch / pto help

/ Ford 1920 clutch / pto help #1  

pasinthrough

I have a Ford 1920 model 2wd with 2300 hours. Last week while running a rototiller I stopped for a minute to get a drink and when I went to engage the PTO, all it would do was grind. I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was at the bottom of the mark, so I added some. The PTO engaged after that, no problem.

Last night I was spreading fertilizer with a cone spreader and the same thing happened. Does anyone know what's going on? It is due for a complete fluid service to include hydraulic filter, so I plan to start there.

Could my clutch be leaving me? It is a 2 stage and the top part for the transmission has been getting a little thin lately. If you guys think it is the clutch, what can I expect to pay for it to get repaired? Is it a DIY Project? I have access to a shop and have turned wrenches before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
   / Ford 1920 clutch / pto help #2  
A worn transmission disc is THE primary cause of not having enough 'throw' in the internal clutch linkage to allow the PTO stage to disengage. Set your clutch pedal freeplay to the minimum side of the specification while being sure to maintain some pedal freeplay. Hydraulic oil level and quality is important, but are not factors associated with your symptoms.

/ Ford 1920 clutch / pto help
Rick,

I'm sorry I didn't go and search the rest of the forum... Your information was spot on! With the help and instructions found here, I think I will be able to get this done at a minimal cost.

Again, sorry for junking up the board. I just panic sometimes...:D

/ Ford 1920 clutch / pto help #4  
that's what it's here for!

soundguy

OK guys...

I checked with my New Holland Dealer today and was quoted a price for an OEM Clutch assembly. I nearly fell over when it was $2375.00! Not including the bearings or install (thats another $800, about what I expected on that). They are going to check on another source, but DANG!!!:confused:

Does anyone have a cheaper source? I'm not trying to take business away from the local dealers, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do. Times being tough and all....

/ Ford 1920 clutch / pto help #6  
Your dealer should have sources for aftermarket clutch assemblies. A&I and HyCapacity are two reputable sources we use along with New Holland. Additionally, we have a local clutch and brake shop that can re-line clutch discs on occasion when approopriate. If your dealer is sensitive to the astronomical prices that New Holland charges for some of their parts, they should already have accounts with other sources.

You shouldn't have to abandon your dealer in order to save some $$$ on this repair. Additonally, it may be that after disassembly, only the transmission clutch disc and release and pilot bearings will need replacement. That's a difficult scenario to predict upfront, however.

I got a price of $661 plus $90 for the bearings.:D

I think I can live with that:thumbsup: