Servicing Transmission Fluid Question

/ Servicing Transmission Fluid Question #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
This may seem like an odd question but I've not had to address this before since most fluid or oil that I've bought has been bought in the measure format required (x # of quarts for example). My JD 4600 requires approx. 8.2 gallons of HST fluid when I do a transmission servicing - that being said, I bought my filter and fluid this evening to do the service work. When I did so, I got two 5 gallon pails of fluid - not thinking that I would be forced to figure out how to make sure that I don't use 1.8 gallons in one of the pails when I fill the fluid.

Any suggestions on how to handle it so I don't overfill it?

Thanks - seems like an odd question but rather than experiment I'd see if anyone had a best practices approach they would suggest.

-Bob

/ Servicing Transmission Fluid Question #2  
Pour off 2 gallons into clean containers, dump the rest in the tractor, run it for a couple minutes and add till you reach the range on the dipstick?..........................chim

/ Servicing Transmission Fluid Question #3  
It's highly unlikely exactly 8.2 gallons is going to drain from your tractor. So you will need to top off as needed no matter what procedure you use. Chim's description is right on, except I would pour off a little more, say 2.5 gallons instead of 2, just to keep down the chance of overfilling.

/ Servicing Transmission Fluid Question
Chim - what constitutes "clean" containers? I'm concerned about residue being still in them. Perhaps if I take the route of draining, putting the first 5 gallons in, and then putting in about 1/4 and then checking progressively I'll manage to address it. I'm concerned about overfilling - next time I'll see if the dealer can get me something than just two big 5 gallon pails.

Thanks for the feedback -

-Bob

/ Servicing Transmission Fluid Question #5  
We get our vinegar and sometimes spring water in gallon jugs. When either is completely dry, I consider them clean enough for anything I handle. If you need a bigger target, wash out a 5 gallon bucket. You could even take a marker and put graduations on it bu filling it with containers of known size. I helped at the in-law's chicken house once when they were medicating the birds via the water lines and a shot feeder type of pump. We used a (new) big light-colored plastic garbage can. It was transparent enough to see magic marker lines on the outside. Worked like a champ.............chim

/ Servicing Transmission Fluid Question #6  
While I get my THF out of a 55 gallon drum using a gallon metal "pitcher" this may work for you.
Buy 2 5 gallons buckets of fluid. Pour the first one into the tractor using whatever funnel you normally use. Use that same funnel and pour half of the second bucket into the first now empty bucket, you should be able to see the fluid level in the bucket through the side but if not use a clean broom handle or stick as a dipstick.
This should give you about 7.5 gallons in the tractor and 2.5 gallons in the bucket. Use either the sight gauge or dipstick to determine the current fluid level in the tractor and use the remaining 2.5 gallons to bring the fluid to the proper level.
Remember folks this is not brain surgery and most of the dipsticks and sight gauges have marks indicating add and full and anywhere between those marks is good to go. It does not need to be exactly on the full mark and a slight amount below that full mark is much much better than a slight amount above that mark.

/ Servicing Transmission Fluid Question #7  
There's no big deal about overfilling. Just syphon it back out with a piece of neoprene tubing or one of those $3 kerosene pumps. I had one of those "quick lube" places overfill my transmission by 2 quarts. I just drew it back out to the proper level, no problem.

/ Servicing Transmission Fluid Question
Bill -

I think your's is a good idea. Once I get the filter situation worked out (see my other post), I'll probably go this route. I know it's not an exact science so I'll just keep checking and adding once I'm close.

Thanks!

-Bob