PTO Problems

/ PTO Problems #1  

DARINT

I have a kubota MX5000. When I engage the pto with a bush hog attached it starts turning but it has no power if it touches grass it stops. 3pt hitch comes up and down fine and all controls for the loader work ok. Hydraulic fluid levels are fine.

/ PTO Problems #2  
Does the rotation of the PTO shaft slow down with the speed of the blades on the mower??

If it does, you might have serious problems within the PTO, maybe it has a clutch inside that is slipping badly? I'm thinking the M5700 is gear drive, right?

If the PTO shaft doesn't slow down but the mower blades do, do you have a slipclutch on the mower? If yes, maybe that is what's slipping??

/ PTO Problems #3  
I have a kubota MX5000. When I engage the pto with a bush hog attached it starts turning but it has no power if it touches grass it stops. 3pt hitch comes up and down fine and all controls for the loader work ok. Hydraulic fluid levels are fine.

Is your tractor stalling? If it is, you're probably at too low an engine speed.
When you engage, what RPM are you at? You'll want to be about 1200 RPM or a bit more.
Once those blades extend (you'll hear a bang), then increase the RPM.

If the engine isn't stalling, it might be the shear pin or slip clutch on your implement shaft.

/ PTO Problems
The pto does stop with the bush hog and it puts no bind on the engine. You can tell the blades never get to full speed and if you drop the bush hog in grass at all the blades and the pto stops and this is at 2700 rpms which is my full pto rpm speed.

/ PTO Problems #5  
The pto does stop with the bush hog and it puts no bind on the engine. You can tell the blades never get to full speed and if you drop the bush hog in grass at all the blades and the pto stops and this is at 2700 rpms which is my full pto rpm speed.

Sounds like you have stripped or broken gears in the PTO transmission.
Just out of curiousity, have you tried any other PTO driven implements? If I'm correct about the stripped/broken gears, your tractor's PTO shouldn't drive any implement.
I do hope I'm wrong...

/ PTO Problems
Well Roy I think your right. I was hoping someone could tell me I needed to adjust something but I kinda knew it was gonna be bad. Thanks for the help Darin T

/ PTO Problems #7  
Hello DARINT. You have a 5000. is that a geer drive or a hydrostaic drive. If it's a hyd. drive, you may have a valve proablem, or bad wire problem.
David-Davies

/ PTO Problems #8  
just in case someone does a search and comes across this thread: I had a similar problem on mine and it was just a matter of the bolt/nut (that holds the adjustment lever to turn on/off the pto) was loose.