1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types?

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
So I'm going over my 1962 International Harvester B-414 (4-cycl/gas). Does anyone know where i can get a basic owner's manual that will tell me how to do routine maintenance and operation? I have a FULL Shop/Repair manual and it's okay if I need to do a major repair, but relatively simple stuff is completely ignored.

What type of motor oil should I use? I think SAE 10W30 is what I read, for the gas engine (somewhere??). I think the engine is a BC 144. I also think I found a Fram oil filter web-page that says it uses a Fram CH820PL (or several cross-references to that).

Hydraulic oil is "Hy-Trans". I'm using AW 32 Hydraulic oil, which I'm told is okay. Seems to me you fill the resevoir right to the very top of the FILL PLUG, under the seat.

Tranny & rear end BOTH use 80-90 gear oil. They drain from the same spot, fill from the same spot, use the same level plug. The level plug seems to be on left side, near where your left foot would be while sitting on tractor seat. I was down 2 quarts! The fill is on top, just right of gear selector.

Okay, how do I tighten the water pump belt? Seems awfully loose, but no obvious, conventional belt tensioning adjustment.

THANKS!

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #2  
I have an IH 3414 about the same vintage as yours, which is the industrial model of a B-414, with a heavy front axle, heavy loader, shuttle trans.,crankshaft driven hyd. pump and subframe for a backhoe. Mine also has the BC 144 gas engine, which I am told, was made by Perkins. I've had it about 20 years, and it has never let me down yet. Distributor wore out and was replaced before I got it as was the carburetor, but internally, the engine has never been touched. I have always used Chevron Delo 400 15W40 oil in it, as that's what the previous owner used. (6 US qts.) Oil filter I use is from NAPA Auto Parts. It is #1302 (NAPA GOLD). Hytrans fluid is what IH recommended for the hydraulics. After some research I found that most UTF (universal tractor fluid) will meet IH specs. I use the one Costco Wholesale sells in 5 gallon buckets, as it's about half the price of anyplace else. It doestake 80-90 weight in all gear cases. Check plug is like you said, near your clutch foot. Looks like a square-headed pipe plug. Drain trans. and finals periodically as it seems to collect lots of moisture from internal condensation. Points, cap, and other tune up parts I get through NAPA also, but since my distributor has been changed, my part #'s would not help you. Carburetors for these engines are horrendously expensive, so the previous owner put a Willys Jeep carb on it many years ago, which does just fine. Fan belt adjustment is unusual. On the fan hub, just ahead of the fan drive pulley there should be a set screw with a jam nut on it. My book says " To adjust the belt, loosen the jam nut and set screw, then screw the pulley flange in or out to obtain the desired tension. The set screw must be tightened in a slot in the pulley hub and locked with the jam nut." The pulley on the fan is a two piece affair that as you screw it together, the groove in the pulley gets narrower, tightening the belt. The set screw on mine was broken off flush with the hub, so I had our local tractor mechanic take it apart several years ago, and it's been fine with no attention needed. The generator quit charging when the belt was loose, as the main belt drives the generator also. I hope this helped you a bit. Binder Books has many manuals for sale for vintage IH. Over the years I have been impressed by IH's engineering on this machine and wish they still manufactured it. Let me know if I can help with something....Dan.

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types?
thanks Dan, i'll have to figure out a way to bookmark you or remember your name for future questions. thanks for all the good info.

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #4  
have you had any trouble with the governor adjustments? My tractor when i rase the bucket it cuts out.I dont know if it is in the carburator or governor adjustments

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #5  
From learning a lot, thank you
Kl4IhB

Oi6tTM

j8cu

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #6  
how much transmission oil does a 3414 international hold

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #7  
how much transmission oil does a 3414 international hold
My IH operators manual says 5 gallons of 80w gear oil for the trans. and differential. Mine has a manual transmission and mechanical shuttle, so I don't know if the Hydra-Shuttle transmissions are the same or not. I have always used 80-90 gear oil without any problems.Dan

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #8  
have you had any trouble with the governor adjustments? My tractor when i rase the bucket it cuts out.I dont know if it is in the carburator or governor adjustments

Probably just the carb. I don't know much about governors, so I've never messed with it. These old beasts are pretty cold-blooded, so in the colder damper weather we have a lot of here, I leave the choke knob pulled out just a bit. As I said sometime earlier, the previous owner subbed a different carb on mine, which I'm sure is part of the problem. Check to make sure you don't have a leak between the carb and the manifold. A new gasket there sure helped mine a few years ago....Dan.

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #9  
Thanks for the reply. I think i will change the points also.

/ 1962 IH B-414 (gas),MANUAL? fluid changes, filter types? #10  
would you have any idea about the point settings.