Rotary Cutter repair

/ Rotary Cutter repair #1  

TheKirkRanch

Tractor
'79 Kubota L345
Okay y'all I'm no longer a lurker!! I've been reading posts for the last year and learning a bunch. I have a JD 616 rotary cutter. The metal that one of the lower pins goes through has broken. Instead of hauling it to a welder, I'm thinking about droping down about 6 inches and drilling new holes and moving both lower pins. Would there be a problem with this?

/ Rotary Cutter repair #2  
I'd say, no problem unless the existing pins are already quite low. Many folks here at TBN have intentionally lowered their pin locations because of problems occuring when lifting the brush hog with the pins mounted high by the factory.

/ Rotary Cutter repair #3  
You may still have to reinforce the area where the original pins are located. If it is already cracked/broken, it may be prone to fail there again.

/ Rotary Cutter repair
I think the frame below the pin is okay. It is much wider. The frame is kind of like a right triangle with the pin at the top so there isn't much metal around it. I got the cutter used with the tractor, it was cracked then but I was trying to get through the summer without fixing it.

Thanks!

/ Rotary Cutter repair
I'm going to move them down this weekend. I really wanted to be able to pick up higher so this will work out great. Now I just need to find a 7/8 drill bit...

Thanks!

/ Rotary Cutter repair #6  
Welcome aboard!

How's your tractor? I've got a '79 L345 also, and he works hard. Don't have a cutter yet, but I'm looking.

/ Rotary Cutter repair
It is a great tractor!! It can more than handle anything I need. I have really enjoyed your posts about your tractor. (I'm a former lurker.) The only major problem with my tractor is the knuckle that turns the left front tire and controls the right is pretty worn. So it has some slack in it. The right is good as new. It's not really a problem unless I'm running it in 8th.

/ Rotary Cutter repair #8  
Hi Jim and Bill:

I've also got a 79 L345DT with the hd loader and backhoe. She only has 1600 hours, but has paid for herself twice over since she was new.

/ Rotary Cutter repair #9  
Jim,

Say - didn't you captain a Starship before you got your Kubota?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
I'm sure you've never heard that before. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Do you have a ROPS for your L345? If not, it's a cheap ($148) insurance policy, and relatively easy to install. See my <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=134560&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>posts here</A> for more information.

/ Rotary Cutter repair #10  
Got a smoke wrench, steady hand, and a good beveled file? I've had to do the same to mount some trailer hitch balls in some 3pt. hitch equipment I made. Large fender washers before and after the pin help hide the slight ugly lines left by the smokewrench.

soundguy

<font color=blue>"Now I just need to find a 7/8 drill bit..."