Repair 3 point Hydraulic Line

/ Repair 3 point Hydraulic Line #1  

TGF

Gold Member
Tractor
3038E
I have a leaky Hydraulic Line going to the three point, it leaks right at a threaded fitting. I am looking for any direction on repairing it. Thanks

/ Repair 3 point Hydraulic Line #2  
When you say "leaky," do you mean a seep, a drip, a flow, or a gush? If it is dripping or seeping, you might be able to remove the fitting and carefully add teflon tape to the threads or use a liquid thread sealant if you don't feel comfortable using tape. Without some type of thread sealant/lubricant, you just can't get fittings tight enough that they won't seep some fluid. It only takes a tiny 1/2 drop or less of seepage to cause a fitting to grow a dust "beard" and look awful. Luckily, it normally rinses off easily with just a blast of cold water.

So if you can't tighten the fitting, you might try removing and adding thread sealant. If it is just a tiny seep that can be rinsed off, you might be better off just living with it.

/ Repair 3 point Hydraulic Line
It was a gusher.

Alright, so I worked on it this morning. As soon as I put the wrench on it I noticed the thing was barely hand tight. I cranked it down and noticed that there is a piece of enamel (the black paint) that is beaded up at the edge of the fitting. It still leaks but its no longer a gusher. Its still under warranty so I am think I should just take it into the shop. Another thing the transmission and hydro fluid are the same on my tractor, I think. I checked it cold like it says and the darn thing is overfull, I know with oil that is a bad idea. Is it the same way with tranny fluid?

/ Repair 3 point Hydraulic Line #4  
Just yesterday I had an O-Ring push out of a fitting that was not sufficients tightened down to keep it in position! A 40 cent fix, once I found it! It was pouring out a steady flow of fluid. ~Scotty

/ Repair 3 point Hydraulic Line #5  
As soon as I put the wrench on it I noticed the thing was barely hand tight. I cranked it down and noticed that there is a piece of enamel (the black paint) that is beaded up at the edge of the fitting. It still leaks but its no longer a gusher. Its still under warranty so I am think I should just take it into the shop.

Excellent! You figured out that it was just a loose fitting instead of something broken. If you can conveniently take it back to the dealer for warranty work, that's even better than messing with it yourself.

You also said that the reservoir was a little overfull. I wouldn't worry about it, even if it is as much as a couple of quarts. Fluid level is measured normally with all cylinders extended and/or 3PH raised. With a FEL, backhoe, or other hydraulic implement, that can account for a significant amount of fluid. Besides, the transmission reservoir is not like an engine where overfill can cause serious problems due to excessive oil in the cylinders and the bottoms of pistons. In the transmission, you would probably not see a significant problem until it was so full it ran out of a vent if you are on and uneven piece of ground.

/ Repair 3 point Hydraulic Line
Thanks Jim, helps put my mind at ease. I am going to take it in for warranty work it was nice to be able to patch so I could the trails cleared.

/ Repair 3 point Hydraulic Line #7  
ditto that. I run my ford 00 series hyds quite overfull to account for loader hyds, as Jim mentioned.

on a new trans with a tight input shaft seal.. a lil overfull likely wouldn't hurt there either.

soundguy