Changing Blades

/ Changing Blades #1  

Fishguy 50

Trying to change the swinging blades on a JD 403 mower. I was able to cut the castle nut loose from the drive shaft, but the "blade carrier??" assembly is stuck on the shaft. I am guessing that maybe drilling, tapping, then using a steering wheel puller would be the way to remove it from the drive shaft? Feel free to correct my descriptions of parts and assem's. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
   / Changing Blades #2  
:welcome:

Post a pic of what you are having a problem with. That will help focus on the problem.

And you are tearing it down for what reason?

/ Changing Blades
I really wish I could post a pic but the mower is 30mi from here. the reason for trying to remove the blade assem. is the blades appear to be beyond sharpening and we are trying to replace them. Is there a tutorial for posting pics on this site?

/ Changing Blades #4  
I am guessing a JD 403 is what is generically termed a Bush Hog type mower, and what you are trying to pull is what is commonly called a Stump Jumper.

If so, it is just a flat out pain to do, the best thing I can suggest is standing the dang thing up and blocking holding it securely so it is at least easy to get at it as you beat, cuss, heat, apply your favorite brand of weasel pee and apply pullers to the thing to get it apart.

Sorry not much real help, but if it does give you any satisfaction, many of us have struggled with that problem.

Just make sure the dang thing does not have the ability to fall on you because that makes a bad job REALLY bad.

/ Changing Blades
Thank you Alan B!, I do belive we are on the same page. When you called it a "stump jumper", I went ... Oh Snap!, that is what the approx. 18" round plate is for. There is a rectangular bar under the stump jumper plate that the blades are attached to, seems to me the idea would be to drill and tap through the plate and bar to secure a puller.

/ Changing Blades #6  
There is a easy way to remove the stump jumper. Turn the cutter upside down or on its side, get 2 --2x4 8 ft long, have a guy on each end prying down on the stump jumper while you give it 1 swift tap on the nut on the threaded shaft. (don't damage your output shaft threads) We usually use a 3 lb shop hammer. The stump jumper is on a tapered spline and when it goes, it goes all at once. Ken Sweet