Cross Threaded nut on spindle?

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #1  

ctwo1

What's the best solution for this repair. What happened was I have a 3pt mower with 3 blades hit a rock with the one blade so took it off. It came off very hard with a socket and breaker bar. Went to re-attach the nut to the spindle and got 1 and a half turns in and it was turning hard so took it back off. Ended up mushroomed the first two threads on the spindle and the nut is done for.

There is lots of thread on the spindle so I was wondering do I just cut off the ruined thread and get a new nut or try and rethread the end of the spindle?

Thanks for any input. I had started the nut by hand so I thought I was good... obviously not. :(

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #2  
Try cleaning it up with a thread file first, then run a die nut on it.

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #3  
get a new bolt and then buy the right size taping tool and clean up the messed up threads on the spindle.

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #4  
If there is enough thread to cut behind the Burred threads and still have a full "NUTS" worth of thread. I would get a cut off wheel for your L head grinder, make sure you are cutting it square.

Take a File and dress the end of the spindle so a new nut will start easily and you should be back in business.

To keep the Spindle threads from getting burred again by rocks. I would buy a few extra flat washers. Put them between the blade and nut. So that the spindle threads are flush or slightly recessed. The Nut will take all the abuse and can be quickly replaced when needed.

Dan

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #5  
Do Not put washers on blades unless they are the hardened type! :confused:

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #6  
Just a thought, Many forum members here with the resources that could help/fix your sticky jam. If your location is near, let me know.

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #8  
OTC (Ottowa (sp?) tool company) makes a thread chaser that looks like a piston groove cleaner that works very well for your case. Great tool to keep in the shop.

Dan

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #9  
Nice tool, but for a one time use and at over $100, a thread file at $10 sounds like a like a better investment IMHO

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #10  
I would use a file and get a new nut. Maybe even get 2 new nuts, no pun intended, and run one on first as kind of a die then remove and put the fresh one on. Take your time with a file first and it should work out fine.

Chris