Exhaust repair. Done right? will it work?

/ Exhaust repair. Done right? will it work? #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
So my son tears off our exhaust pipe on our 1962 International Harvester B414 (GAS). It was getting pretty soft & holey near where it bolts onto the exhaust manifold. I'd guess the old pipe might be 1.5" OD. So he finds a 1 foot section of galvanized fence pole pipe and welds that to the old base that bolts onto the manifold. NOW, we need to mount a 90 degree elbow onto this 1 foot tailpiece, and then re-connect that to the old 1.5" piping and muffler. The galvanized piece is at least 2" ID, maybe 2 1/8". Somehow we'll have to reduce from the new 2 1/8" tailpiece to the original pipe size of 1.5". An elbow that adapts these sizes would be ideal.

So what I'm wondering are several things. Will the galvanized fence pole pipe work? Last very long? It seemed fairly thick walled for fence pole. Will it take the heat, or just crumble?

What will be the effect of opening the flow from the exhaust manifold from it's previous 1.5" size to 2 1/8" and then reducing it 1 foot later back to it's original size of about 1.5"? Will this cause damage? Poor running? Will the pipe last?

/ Exhaust repair. Done right? will it work? #2  
The Glav pipe should hold up fine, the Galv coating will probably disappear depending on how hard the engine is ran. The larger Diam. pipe will act as a muffler without baffles, maybe change the exhaust note. Should not harm the engine in any way. Defintely want to make sure and have all the welds 100% weld, with no leaks, hot exhaust gas under the hood is not a good thing (cause a Fire).

/ Exhaust repair. Done right? will it work? #3  
So my son tears off our exhaust pipe on our 1962 International Harvester B414 (GAS). It was getting pretty soft & holey near where it bolts onto the exhaust manifold. I'd guess the old pipe might be 1.5" OD. So he finds a 1 foot section of galvanized fence pole pipe and welds that to the old base that bolts onto the manifold. NOW, we need to mount a 90 degree elbow onto this 1 foot tailpiece, and then re-connect that to the old 1.5" piping and muffler. The galvanized piece is at least 2" ID, maybe 2 1/8". Somehow we'll have to reduce from the new 2 1/8" tailpiece to the original pipe size of 1.5". An elbow that adapts these sizes would be ideal.

So what I'm wondering are several things. Will the galvanized fence pole pipe work? Last very long? It seemed fairly thick walled for fence pole. Will it take the heat, or just crumble?

What will be the effect of opening the flow from the exhaust manifold from it's previous 1.5" size to 2 1/8" and then reducing it 1 foot later back to it's original size of about 1.5"? Will this cause damage? Poor running? Will the pipe last?

Be careful welding that galvanized pipe. That stuff gives off some pretty nasty fumes (as in not good for your health). Why not just go with OE parts? Or is there enough of it left to take to a garage that has a pipe bender?

/ Exhaust repair. Done right? will it work? #4  
Like the others said it'll work just fine.

But,,,,,,,,,,

Exhaust pipe is cheap, exhaust manifolds are not.

/ Exhaust repair. Done right? will it work?
agreed, I've heard galvanized is nasty to weld due to the fumes. I asked him about it and he told me he ground it first, so it should have been good to go. this was all done before I had a chance to say anything, or provide my fatherly wisdom & guidance. I had concerns afterwards, which is why I posted.

As any of you who have a 15 y/o know, they know more than we do so they don't ask a lot of questions. I agree that pipe is cheap and we could have tried to match up similar diameters. I think we may end up cutting off the pipe and finding similar exhaust pipe so we're not looking for reducers.

/ Exhaust repair. Done right? will it work?
well, he went to the local auto parts store and bought some 2" pipe that had a 180 degree bend. Then he cut off the galvanized piece and welded the store pipe directly to the flange that bolts onto the manifold. I noticed he broke one of the exhaust manifold bolts, but he never bothered to try and remove the broken off bolt piece because he knows it's impossible.

So now we have a 2" pipe with a 180 degree bend, facing towards the front of the tractor and up slightly. He plans to weld the muffler directly onto the inch piece, leaving NO tail piece from the muffler (it's smaller pipe). I'm trying to tell him that the muffler will be thin, old material that won't weld very well, and he should leave a foot long tail piece to work with, despite the different diameters. ALSO, he wants to eventually have the pipe go straight up, instead of the rear dump that it was before. Right now it sounds pretty loud.

/ Exhaust repair. Done right? will it work? #7  
when welding on zin coated parts.. I always try to grind, wire wheel, or torch it off a bit. makes prettier welds too... plus saves you from the bad fumes.. some of them any way..

soundguy