hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering

/ hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering #1  

RaymondTM

Tractor
shibura se 5346
at initial start up, the power steering (or assisted, how can I tell) works great, both directions. After some minutes, the steering gets 'rough' and the steering wheel turns but the front wheels don't turn as much. It seems temperature or time related. And it also seems worse when trying to turn right.

Any suggestions?

/ hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering #2  
I don't know the correct answer, but is it possible there is air in your lines, or your fluid level might be low? Any leaks?

Are the steering components all good; no loose balljoints,tie-rods, etc..?

/ hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering #3  
at initial start up, the power steering (or assisted, how can I tell) works great, both directions. After some minutes, the steering gets 'rough' and the steering wheel turns but the front wheels don't turn as much. It seems temperature or time related. And it also seems worse when trying to turn right.

Any suggestions?

Telling us what machine you have will help us give you accurate answers;)

/ hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering #4  
I second the low fluid theory - as the cylinder fills up, bleeds out air, it will jump, feel hard and even gritty. Often, added cylinders and attachments require a hydraulic fluid level to be higher than the magic line on the dipstick. With more fluid volume, things will run cooler too.
I've heard warnings about overfilling, blowing seals, etc., but have never personally experienced any such problems in a hydraulic system.
Bob

/ hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering
Thanks for the replies. Yes, fluid level is correct. I have actually changed the fluid, twice now, just to ensure good, clean fluid. This seemed to have helped, but turning right still gets to be an issue after some minutes of operation.
The tractor is a Shibaura. There are two hydraulic lines running from the steering column up to the front of the tractor. There is a a mechnism there that rotates right to left, which moves the tie rods to the wheels.

/ hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering #6  
G'day if you have a mechanical link from the steering box to the front axle then you have power assisted if you just have a couple of hyd lines then you have power steering. Hope this helps

Jon

/ hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering
Thanks, Jon. It's power steering then. Don't know why the problem shows up after some minutes of operatoin.

/ hydraulic power steering, or assisted pwr steering #8  
You have the opposite of 'morning sickness' (which is no power steering until its warm). I suspect you have a worn o-ring in the steering valve. When the valve body heats up and expands, there is a pressure loss as the valve turns to open the flow ports.

Pull the valve body and replace the o-ring.