Tractor
    John Deere F510 Mower

Default John Deere F510 used parts?

Hello,
    I just recently picked up a John Deere F510 mower, 14HP, and 48" cut deck. As far as I can tell, it is in overall good shape, with about 279 hours. However, it does have some issues with the plastic body/platform pieces on/around it. I would like to find the plastic platform where operator puts feet---John Deere part: AM128987. Anybody have one? Anybody have a parts F510 nearby Pensacola, FL area? Any leads? Thanks.
    Also, anything in particular I should be aware of regarding this mower? Any weird wear-out points, or mechanical things I should pay close attention to?
    (And, since I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post, Moderator, if I have listed this in the wrong spot, please delete or move it as needed.)
    Last edited by BretM; 07-09-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: needed more information added

Tractor
    jd 1070

Default Re: John Deere F510 used parts?

I have a F525, which is an 18 hp 48" cut mower. I thought the F510 came with a 36" deck but who knows...

My 525 is the only mower I've ever owned which has never needed a belt replacement. There are 2: one on the deck and another one from the clutch to the deck pulley. I hit stick, stones, vines, bricks even a broken off metal post once in a while and she still runs great. I often use a Woods leaf vacuum trailer hooked to th eback. Yes the plastic parts are an issue. I use the metal furnace tape to patch the cracked pieces together. Mine's more than 20 years old and never has used a drop of oil. Cleaned off the battery terminals once. Based on this type of front mower, I bought an F935 with a 72" deck and a diesel. Best part of the F525 is the ability to pick up the entire machine with the front end loader to sharpen the blades !
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    John Deere F510 Mower

While mowing yesterday, my John Deere F510 mower decided to disengage the mower deck. I stopped and tried to switch it on again, but it would not engage. It seemed like it was making the attempt, electrically, but not mechanically.
    So, I took a quick look and found that the primary drive belt is torn/ripped apart/worn---and it was new. I put the mower up on blocks, started it, and tried to engage the mower drive clutch---no action.
    Checked the fuses, no problem there. Then I took off the mower deck. Disconnected the connector going to the clutch, turned clutch engage switch on, and tested the line for voltage----no volts read on my meter. Maybe the switch went out, due to an electrical strain placed upon the clutch, because the primary belt was dragging/caught on the mower...?
    Pulled the switch and tested it. Then had to hurry up put everything away because it was getting ready to rain. Next time I work on it, I'm going to just run 12 volts to the electric clutch and see if it tries to engage. Hopefully it is just the switch (a $20 part), and not also the clutch (a $180 part).

Tractor
    John Deere F510 Mower

Just my luck.
    SO far I've determined that both the switch and the clutch are bad!
    Anyone know the cheapest/best place to get both parts?
    Thanks.