Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!!

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #1  

BretM

Tractor
John Deere F510 Mower
How can I tell if my clutch switch and/or electric clutch is bad on my John Deere F510?
My mower slipped out of mowing mode over the weekend, so I stopped the mower and threw the switch again---it kinda sounded like it wanted to engage, but never did. After a few on/off attempts, it stopped sounding like anything electrical was happening when I tried to engage the switch. Nothing. No sounds. So, I stopped the mower and inspected everything---and found a ripped apart primary drive belt(a new one I had just put on). I know, this is not electrical, but it may have been a contributing factor/load to the electrical system, if it somehow got bound up or caught?
I removed the deck, and started inspecting everything. Perhaps I re-installed the deck wrong---but I found no wear points from the belt ripping apart. Bad belt? Perhaps it was twisted?
Anyway, I checked the clutch switch. If I understand it correctly, the two prongs on the one end of the switch are the feed(s), and while starting the mower, it runs through that, ensuring the mower deck is not engaged. Correct? Then, once it is started, it remains the hot loop going in, and when the deck is engaged, it goes across the switch. With that being my idea of how it works, I then tested the switch with it in the on position, with no luck on any of the three prongs on the other end of the switch.
Okay, so I think I have a bad clutch switch.
Next thing I checked was the electric clutch. Since it is grounded to the engine already, why does it have two electrical connectors going to it? I tried jumping some juice from the battery to each prong of the clutch, but heard nothing. Am I missing something?
Or does it sound like I have a bad switch and electric clutch?
Any tips or suggestions out there?

Last edited:
   / Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #2  
Your clutch is not normally grounded to the engine. One of the two wires going to the clutch is 12 volts and the other is a ground. You should be able to unplug the clutch and check for voltage on the two wires. You can also check for continuity through the clutch. Check all of the fuses and do a thorough inspection of all of the wires adjacent to the clutch and the damaged belt. The belt coming apart could have damaged the wiring.:thumbsup:

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #3  
Don't be surprised if both your clutch and switch are bad. When my L-130's clutch puked at 56-hours, I found the wire connector at the clutch melted, and the switch was fried too.

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #4  
I'd 'poke-around' over here:Weekend Freedom Machines

Not 'dissing' TBN, but there's talent there as well......~Scotty

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!!
Just my luck.
SO far I've determined that both the switch and the clutch are bad!
Anyone know the cheapest/best place to get both parts?
Thanks.

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #6  
Just my luck.
SO far I've determined that both the switch and the clutch are bad!
Anyone know the cheapest/best place to get both parts?
Thanks.

Sorry to hear that Bret. The best place to get parts will be the Deere dealer; but they won't be the cheapest. If someone knows where to get non-Deere parts that will work, I hope they post a suggestion for you.

If your clutch and switch are similar to the ones on my L-130, expect to pay just under $200 for both parts not counting tax. You can order the parts at www.jdparts.com and pick them up at your nearest dealer.

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #7  
Look thru eBay for JD front mower parts. Then find a seller with a store. Then look thru the store for your part(s). If no clutch is available, then send them a message asking if there is a clutch from a parted out mower.

This usually works for me (for an F525 in fact). The seller is local, so I can avoid shipping by going there (Joe's Outdoor Equipment).

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #8  
There are several after market suppliers of power equipment. Rotary, Stens and Silver streak are three that I have used. Most repair shops use one or all of them. Also, go to johnfvining.com and browse. You should have no trouble locating the switch. The clutch may be more difficult, although, Rotary does list several elect pto clutches. The price of $200 actually doesn't sound too bad for oem John Deere parts. Google your mower model # and "parts" and you may find what you're looking for there.

Jim

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #9  
The price of $200 actually doesn't sound too bad for oem John Deere parts. Google your mower model # and "parts" and you may find what you're looking for there.

Jim

In my case, the $200 wouldn't have bothered me as much if the mower had 560-hours on it when they puked instead of 56-hours.

/ Electric Clutch Questions for a JD F510---HELP!!! #10  
You could do a little rigging and get away with just the clutch and a $5 toggle switch.