Carb repair

/ Carb repair #1  

NoMoreToys

Tractor
BX2200
I have an 80s era 36" John Deere 12hp commercial walk behind. Its been a great machine up until now. The carb keeps flooding. I have cleaned it the best I could. When I put it back on it ran for about 5 smokey minutes and died. The JD shop is asking me for a number off the carb, but I found none. HELP!

/ Carb repair #2  
Did you try putting the model number into jdparts.deere.com?

/ Carb repair #3  
if carb bowl is overflowing, check float, needle and seat, and gasket under seat if replaceable.

floats can be heavy ( pinholes ).. and the needles can stick.. or get debri inthe seat.. etc.

soundguy

/ Carb repair
The engine is a FB460V CS02 - not listed "beenthere".

Sound Guy - I really cleaned the float needle valve area, with 400 paper. I am leaning towards a leaky float? Or rather the float is filling up with gas. But I am not sure how to prove it.

When the engine does die, gas is pouring out of the rear port into the carb. Does this make any sense? I am truly at a loss. The repair shop, not JD but a good shop (Ariens & Toro been going there for years), gave up. They couldn't locate a crb thru their channels. Kawasaki doesn't list them any more.

/ Carb repair #5  
To check for a leaking float, remove it from the carb and shake it. You will be able to hear the gas inside sloshing around inside. I always do this, especially with metal floats.

/ Carb repair #6  
another way is to take a glass of hot water and submerge the flaot in it.. if it has a pinhole leak there will be a stream of bubbles coming from the rapidly expanding air in the float.

that # sounds like a kawasaki number...

soundguy

/ Carb repair #7  
google the engine number, lot of repair kits come up. Shake the float next to you ear you should be able to hear the sloshing. If too full to slosh, the weight of the float should make it obvious. I think 400 grit it too course and too likely to leave behind grit which would continue your problem. try pulling the carb off the engine and blowing through the fuel line with the bowel off. You should be able to shut off the flow of air using the slight pressure on the float, if you cant there is your problem