Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #1  

ctgoldwing

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3800HST
So there I am in the middle of the woods doing a honeydoo project (cleaning a line for a large fenced in dog pen) when the tractor just dies. It acts like its out of fuel - cranks easily tries to start then nothing. Even though the gauge showed just less than 1/2 a tank I trudged up the hill & got some more diesel so now it has over 1/2 tank. Still no go - it turns over easily but its as if there is no fuel. . .

Is it possible the small trees / brush I was clearing caught a fuel line? I didn't see anything leaking and the filter bowl has fuel in it. . .

Where are the first places I should look?

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #3  
Probably water in the fuel filter.

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #4  
Some electrical fuel cut-off or safety switch?

Mike

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #5  
Ditto the fuel shutoff solenoid, probably located right at the pump. Follow the throttle cable, to something that looks similar to the pictured items. When the key is turned on, it should energize and retract.

Attachments

• shutoff solenoid.bmp
    823.6 KB · Views: 236
   / Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #6  
I had this happen to me last weekend, on a L3710 it turned out to be the mid PTO safety switch had tripped. I just turned the PTO on and off again and voila it works. I would also check for branches stuck underneath the tractor.

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died
Great suggestions! Thanks they are all good starting points.

It was too **** hot yesterday & I was too **** tired to start crawling under the machine but today is a new day :)

Will let you know - I'm especially interested in looking at my pto (don't have a mid) - its possible the lever got knocked (how stupid would I feel)

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #8  
Dont the safety switches prevent cranking? :confused: ... My understanding is it cranks but wont fire. A fuel issue.
larry

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died
Dont the safety switches prevent cranking? :confused: ... My understanding is it cranks but wont fire. A fuel issue.
larry

I'm leaning towards a fuel issue - I zipped home for lunch today & made my way into the woods - The pto lever was partially forward (ahh hope) - I engaged it, disengaged it, no love.

I'm going to try again this evening - I'll find the fuel solenoid to see that it still has wires attached and then drain the filter bowl. I really don't think its a water problem. Not only is the machine kept indoors, it is conditioned air (basement garage) - but anything is possible.

/ Need troubleshooting suggestions - L3400 died #10  
I would start by seeing if you have fuel flow. If not then check for power at your pump. you should have 12vdc at the solenoid and at the pump itself.
I hope this helps.