Case 580SE brakes problem

/ Case 580SE brakes problem #1  

pietru

Tractor
CASE 580SE
Hi everyone, maybe someone can give me a tip on my issue.

I have a case 580SE (1983) and one of the brake pedal is lower then the other and the backhoe's brake are REALLY bad, hardly brakes at all. I figure it is a question of adjustment and oil in the casements. My question is... what is the best way to work on the brakes? removing the floor? I don't even know if its possible. If I work from under, do I lift it with the legs, push it up with the bucket then support it ?

Thanks for your advice.

/ Case 580SE brakes problem #2  
The brakes are fairly easy to access from below, and don't require removing the wheels however the job will be much easier if you do.
There is a removable housing on each side, forward of the axle, that contains the disk brake assy. Not a great design from a braking performance standpoint, but not difficult to service. Here's a page from my 1986 service manual. Should be the same for a 1983 I would think.

Attachments

• case580-super-e.jpg
    case580-super-e.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 12,502
   / Case 580SE brakes problem #3  
G'day and welcome to TBN:thumbsup: you should be able to remove the cover on top of the cyl as shown in the diagram posted and tighten up the nut you will see under there, but be careful you do not want to tighten up too tight as this will cause the brakes to drag, I usually aim to have them at just above half pedal travel ( i.e just above halfway to the floor ) also if your pedals feel spongy at all you may have air in the system and it will req bleeding. Hope this helps

Jon

/ Case 580SE brakes problem
Thank you very much you both have been very helpful, I will give it a try

/ Case 580SE brakes problem
Could you briefly explain how to bleed the brakes? I did it on cars and motorcycles and I figure the master cylinders must have a nut for bleeding as well

/ Case 580SE brakes problem #6  
G'day you should not have to bleed the m/cyl unless it has been totally out of fluid even then i would still work n the wheel cyl's first and the procedure is the same as doing a car, 2 people 1 to pump the pedal and one to crack the bleeder leave the pedals locked together and pump away

Jon