Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    NH TN55

Default battery charger?

I plan to purchase a battery charger for farm use. Wal-Mart has a 100/10(or 15?)/2 amp charger from Ever Start for $65.
    Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: battery charger?

I've been using a charger like that for almost 10 years with no problems at all. It only charges 12 volt batteries (Some have a switch for 6 volts). When you are doing a fast charge, the charger will cycle off and on, so don't think it is broken when it goes off. That is normal operation. I don't think I paid $65 for mine, but 10 years ago, everything was cheaper.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    NH TN55

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Am I correct that I would need the 100 amp capacity for starting a diesel? I saw a 50/10/2 charger on sale at Sears for about $35, but I am concerned that the 50 amp starting capacity is too low.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

I may be in the minority here, but I have never owned a battery charger - except for the NiMH batteries for my digital camera. If a vehicle won't start, I check to see if the battery has been drained by a load unintentionally left "on". I also check if the battery is more than 4 years old. If it died with no load, and/or is over 4 years old, it gets replaced.

I suppose if I had a battery for a trolling motor or something like that I would need a charger.................chim

Veteran Member
    Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin County
    Tractor
    JD 950

Some of us need chargers for self protection. My JD 950 does not die by turning off the key switch. I must close the throttle to shut off the fuel. However, I have been known to close the throttle and forget to switch the key off, failing to notice the idiot lights came on when I did. Went back several days later and the battery was dead. Did that twice. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img] I think I have learned now.

Tractor
    Kubota L5460HSTC

Chim,

Lots of places you can't easily get a car or other suitable source in for a jump start. Like when you leave the ignition on on your lawn tractor on the other side of the creek. Or your boat when it is at the dock.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img] Or when your car is "nose in" in your 1 car garage & nobody around to help push it out.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Go with what you are comfterable with safety and money wise. Keep in mind that the booster function of the charger isn't meant to start an engine that has a stone dead battery. It is menat as a booster for a weak or cold battery, etc.
    50 amps may not sound like alot, but you would be surprised. I used to jump my yanmar tractor off in the winter by hooking up jumper cables to my riding lawnmower, etc... worked fine, and I doubt I had 50 amps of current flow going through those cables. I had a 10 /1 / trickle/ charger that I used to use also ( when I had pulled the lawnmower down and forgot to charge it back up ).. It only had a 10 boost. What I would do is go out first thing in the morning, and let it charge for 20 minutes while I had my shower and coffee. This put some charge on the battery, and warmed it up. Then I kicked the boost on, and really never had any problems. that 50/10/2 sounds luxorius by comparison. That 10 amp charge can go a long way in a little time. A battery that is weakened by accidental drain that just can't quite turn the engine over, with about 10-20 minutes of charge, plus the boost sounds like it will do fine.

My ford 8n is still 6v, and I use that 10/1/trickle on it ( has a 6v/12v switch ), and from near dead, i can start the tractor in 15 minutes of charge.

Just my .02.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"Thanks for the info. Am I correct that I would need the 100 amp capacity for starting a diesel? I saw a 50/10/2 charger on sale at Sears for about $35, but I am concerned that the 50 amp starting capacity is too low."

Tractor
    NH TN55

All,

Thanks for the useful information.

Soundguy, you mentioned safety. Are there specific safety features that I should look for in a charger?

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

My charger is actually a 10/30/50 and the instructions with it suggest that you put it on high for 10 minutes before doing a boosted start. My Dodge diesel has two batteries, and you can't even get it started with a 300 amp charger. I'm not sure what the little diesels in our tractors would require, but I would say that in all but the most extreme case (battery completely dead), the 100 amp starter would be a good choice. I've wished for a little more power on a few occasions, but most of the time the 50 amp charger works fine. There are so many variations, it's hard to say what's best, but I consider my charger primarily a charger and not a booster "battery."

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 HSTC, International 2400, Hesston 1280,

I have used a 10/50 charger for years &amp; still do when I want to carry a light weight one to a lawn mower somewhere.

A couple of years ago I purchased a 2/10/50/225 Schumacher charger on wheels at Sams Club for about 85.00. It has a timer you can set for how long you want it to charge. I like it a lot for use in or near the shop. I even use it in place of a battery to operate a 12 volt winch I have stored/mounted in the shop ceiling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast