8N has no spark

/ 8N has no spark #1  

dogeman

Tractor
1948/9 8N 12v
:confused: 8N won't start after tune up. This 8N was converted to 12v. many years ago, I have replaced the points, rotor, in-line resistor,disp. cap. capacitor and still have no spark. (I even tried a new coil to no avail).
The front mount disp. has the square coil with a single wire to it and it shows 12 volts to the wire, and to each of the contact point at the other end.
What else could possibly prevent spark?

I attached an ampmeter to the wire connection at the cap and did not see any voltage jump when cranking the engine.

/ 8N has no spark #2  
HELLO,
i had a TO20 that had the same problem.
check all of the wire connections, to see if
there isn't one just holding on by a few strands.
that was the problem i had. after i cut the wire
back, and reconnected it, everything was ok.
good luck
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ 8N has no spark #3  
The primary ignition circuit is open. Either at one of the coil connections, within the coil itself, between the coil and points, or at the points (not closing, or not making contact when they do close).

/ 8N has no spark #4  
G'day give the contacts of the points a light rub with some very fine emery as they are usually shipped with an anti corrosion film that will not let them make contact

Jon

/ 8N has no spark #5  
ditto what rick sad.

if there is no voltage drop, there is no closed circuit.

could be points or the primary pig tail., or an open primary..

soundguy

/ 8N has no spark #6  
If you still cannot find the problem, go to the Yesterday's tractors website, and look up the ford spot. There are a couple of old timers on there who can build-em in their sleep. They helped me a couple of times with my 2n.

/ 8N has no spark #7  
Rick and I post over there at YT... he's not likely to get any better advice, 'so far' than what he has already gotten. ( Rick is a NH mechanic afaik.. )

soundguy

/ 8N has no spark #8  
Rick and I post over there at YT... he's not likely to get any better advice, 'so far' than what he has already gotten. ( Rick is a NH mechanic afaik.. )

soundguy

But not many know that I won't qualify for 'old-timer' status until next year.

/ 8N has no spark #9  
But not many know that I won't qualify for 'old-timer' status until next year.

Yeah I didn't want to volunteer you up for being an old timer.. just pass on your expert status. :)

soundguy

/ 8N has no spark #10  
What's the cutoff date?