replacing a broken grease zerk

/ replacing a broken grease zerk #11  
I've found that NAPA carries the "square" type E-Z outs. That's what I used to pull my broken zerks out. The fact that zerks typically spend their entire lives embedded in a coating of grease really does aid in the removal process, as there should not be any rust to contend with.

Joe

/ replacing a broken grease zerk
Well, I checked in at the hardware store. They had a five packk of Master Mechanic ez out extractors for $12 bucks. I went home and drove the main pin that secures the outrigger to the tractor just over 1/2 of the way out to expose and free up the zerk hole. I thought I may have to drill out the bottom out of he remaining zerk threaded body. With the fivee pack of ex out extractors I picked out the largest one so it was not necessary to drill w/o drilling away the bottom panel of the zerk body. It was out in no time.

I have replaced zerks before on this backhoe and the book swears they are 1/8 th pipe thread. The thing is I have yet to replace one that it fails to feel like the thread matches. I have and tried them also in metric and they dont make a fit either. It's in there and takes grease.

thanks for all the suggestions.

rim

/ replacing a broken grease zerk #14  
I've found that an old allen wrench works pretty well in a pinch.:thumbsup:

/ replacing a broken grease zerk #15  
Rimshot i have just replaced some on my Kioti backhoe and mines were 8mm zerk !!!!! I'm surprised that yours are of a standard thread....

/ replacing a broken grease zerk #16  
Rimshot i have just replaced some on my Kioti backhoe and mines were 8mm zerk !!!!! I'm surprised that yours are of a standard thread....

I think that 8mm is the same as 5/16 "

Jim

/ replacing a broken grease zerk
=============

Well now! I have a Kioti KB2465 backhoe and on pages 13-36 through 13-37 of the backhoe owner's manual it shows a cylinder and parts ID page. It shows and identifies this object as a grease nipple, p.t (pipe thread) 1/8th inch, part number GNIT-0181. Strange that they would use both metric and Pipe thread.

rimshot

/ replacing a broken grease zerk #18  
=============

Well now! I have a Kioti KB2465 backhoe and on pages 13-36 through 13-37 of the backhoe owner's manual it shows a cylinder and parts ID page. It shows and identifies this object as a grease nipple, p.t (pipe thread) 1/8th inch, part number GNIT-0181. Strange that they would use both metric and Pipe thread.

rimshot

Keep in mind that 1/8" is the nominal inside diameter of the pipe, not the OD of the pipe. OD is probably closer to 3/8". A 1/8" NPT zerk will have the same OD as the pipe.:)