Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal

/ Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal #1  

bneeley

I am working on removing the blade carrier assembly on a Rhino TW72 Bush hog, and find that it is frozen on the shaft. Can heat be safely applied to carrier to help in removal without damaging the seal on the gear box?
Maybe some tips on removing?

Thanks,
Bill

/ Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal #2  
I wouldn't heat it

Get some help to use some boards to pry on it on both sides while you tap it (hard) with a hammer. It's probably a tapered shaft, so if it ever moves it should pop right off

/ Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal #3  
What was the final solution for removing the Blade Carrier Assembly. I'm about to replace mine. Thanks.

/ Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal #4  
I wouldn't heat it

Get some help to use some boards to pry on it on both sides while you tap it (hard) with a hammer. It's probably a tapered shaft, so if it ever moves it should pop right off

What was the final solution for removing the Blade Carrier Assembly. I'm about to replace mine also. Is this thread just to old Thanks.

/ Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal #5  
If it's on there really good heat will be required. I suspect there is a really tight factory fit and corrosion. Soak it in PB blaster overnight and give it a try. If not successful put a little heat on it. You can try and force it and end up hurting yourself, breaking tools, parts, etc or just heat it.

/ Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal #6  
KB7722 Thanks I am doing that to the & nut threads for the last few days will flip on it's side and start with wrenches and go from there. Can the Bolt and nuts that that attach the blades to the mower be reused ? or should they be replaced each time the blades are removed on a Rhino TW72

/ Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal #7  
I have reused them but it's good insurance to change them for the small cost. Not sure how old yours are. You could take a look and seen how worn they are. If you have a manual it would be interesting what Rhino has to say about it.

/ Rhino TW72 Bush hog blade carrier removal #8  
I have reused them but it's good insurance to change them for the small cost. Not sure how old yours are. You could take a look and seen how worn they are. If you have a manual it would be interesting what Rhino has to say about it.

I took a quick look at manual didn't find anything about how often to change blade bolts. I did find torque bolts (left hand thread) to 350#, then later found where it said 250# torque. I recall when I was cutting Sage brush in Oregon Desert I placed new blades on a large Brush hog and seem to recall to change bolts every 3rd time blades were removed. I will just replace with new bolts as will last me as now not cutting much more than Grass and a very small bit of 1.5" stuff. Once I get my taxes done I will start working on it