Ford pump Problem

/ Ford pump Problem #11  
I would not trust jb weld to hold back 1700+ PSI of oil pressure.

"How do you drill out a tapered hole? " with a drill bit of course!

then you use a PIPE PLUG tap to tap threads in it. use the correct size drill bit for the pipe plug tap you will be using.

Yes.. if you take something apart, you use new ghaskets when you put it back together.

the pump itself has some difficult spots.. like the needle bearings and what not.

soundguy

/ Ford pump Problem
I would not trust jb weld to hold back 1700+ PSI of oil pressure.

"How do you drill out a tapered hole? " with a drill bit of course!

then you use a PIPE PLUG tap to tap threads in it. use the correct size drill bit for the pipe plug tap you will be using.

Yes.. if you take something apart, you use new ghaskets when you put it back together.

the pump itself has some difficult spots.. like the needle bearings and what not.

soundguy

I am not trying to be obtuse. This work I have never done and I am learning as I go. That is why I am asking questions. It is the Tap that is tappered, so I now understand. I know it seems like a simple thing.

As I remove the cover is there any techniques or processes you might recommend to prevent from losing the components or damaging the pump.

/ Ford pump Problem #13  
I'd clean it externally very good, then remove and let it drain, then put it on a towel on a sho bench then go at it... go slow. end cap / head sould be easy to remove.

have your pipe plug tap and drill ready.

post a pic of the damage. are you sure they actually tapped new threads in it?

soundguy

/ Ford pump Problem
I'd clean it externally very good, then remove and let it drain, then put it on a towel on a sho bench then go at it... go slow. end cap / head sould be easy to remove.

have your pipe plug tap and drill ready.

post a pic of the damage. are you sure they actually tapped new threads in it?

soundguy

I will get my daughter to take a pic with her camera and post it. It looks like they may have made or modified an orb plug to put in the pump rather than using a pipe plug. I have a buddie with a little machine shop, so he can help me drill and tap it. I think I will borrow a pump first to finish haying then work on it, but I will post a pic this evening.

Thanks again

/ Ford pump Problem #15  
wow.. it amazes me that someone went tot he trouble to tap straight threads in there for an orb fitting, that had no seat so wouldn't seal good.. vs just fixing the taper threads.

walk a mile to save a foot eh?

soundguy

/ Ford pump Problem
I tried to take a picture, but I did not get the focus right, becaus it focused on the engine in the background. It was worse than I thought. The Bolt that was in the plug hole was a 1/2-13. THe threads in the hole were 13's. The the hole was striped halfway down, but you could see the 18 thread marks that used to be there. The persn who installed this actually did use JB weld. There was grey mattter in the threads as I was cleaning it out.

I have one more field to hay. The guy who sold me the tractor will loan me a pump to complete it. The field I am haying belongs to my buddies son. After we are done with the hay we will bring over my pump, take it apart and redrill the hole and tap it. Thanks for the help I will keep you posted when we do the work on the pump. :thumbsup:

/ Ford pump Problem #17  
good luck.

boy.. what a booger job someone did.... :( sorry you had to get it.

soundguy

/ Ford pump Problem
I finanlly repaired the pump. I replaced the gaskets. There was one spring broken, but New Holland had the part fro a couple of bucks. what the guy did previously was to tap a bolt into the plug to tighten it, so when I bled it it created a leak path. I went to the next size plug. When I got it all back together it worked well with a minor leak from the plug. I got some high pressure thread compund from TSC and appears to be working. I will start cutting hay tomorrow for the final test.

/ Ford pump Problem #19  
good luck.

gotta love goobers putting bolts into taper threaded holes..

soundguy

/ Ford pump Problem
Succes, I was able to cut, rake and bale this weekend with no hydraulic leaks. The loose bolt on the alternator caused the fand belt to slip and the engine got hot and vapor locked. After I tightened that every thing worked great, but I had 90 bales down when the rain came. with 100 degree temp yesterday and today the bales are dry no worse the wear. Over all a good 4th of July