Ford 3000 Fan

/ Ford 3000 Fan #1  

Loafy

I am new to this board and have been lloking through all of the posts and all I can say is WOW! This is bar none the best tractor oriented board I have run across. I look forward to reading more but first I have a question of my own that I'm sure you guys and gals can help with.

I have a ford 3000 and the fan bearings are shot. The fan still moves but makes a LOT of bad sounding noise and I can move it about 1/4 inch with my fingers. I know it needs to be replaced but it looks like it will be more complicated that I want to tackle. I don't see how it will come off without removing all of the radiator and front end.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much a repair like this will run me? I will be calling the dealer later in the week but just wanted an idea before I got "sticker shock" from him!

Thanks in advance!

/ Ford 3000 Fan #2  
If you have a 3000 general purpose model without a loader the best way to replace the water pump is to remove the hood, cowl and radiator first. This is a good time to clean the radiator core (external), replace the hoses and fan belt. We need to remember this tractor is between 27 and 37 years old, and the hardware may not cooperate well during this repair. I would say 2-4 hours should be adequate for this repair, hopefully around 2.5 to 3 if all goes well. Labor costs vary, so you can plug in your local rate.

/ Ford 3000 Fan
I was afraid that the front would have to come off. Well, I knew it would actually. The tractor is just the plain ole model with no loader or anything. I has had remarkable few problems up till this point.

I am fairly mechanical but I do not have a lot of tools or a real good work space. I dont have much other than a good set of sockets and wrenches and I do not have a manuel for the tractor. The only thing I have done to the tractor besides oil and filter changes is change out the exhaust amafolf from an out the botton unit to an out the top one. It wa sreally easy. Would this repair be something that I might undertake in the driveway or should I just take it in to the dealer. Are there any "special" tools needed to do the repair?

Lots of questions but this is the best place I know to get good answers. Thanks again

/ Ford 3000 Fan #4  
Have you ever change one on an older car?
If so you would fine with the tractor. I would also recomend that the thermostat be replaced if it has one.

Also if you do this yourself, keep the antifreeze away from the children and pets.

Where are you from?

/ Ford 3000 Fan
I live in SouthEast Georgia. Town called Swainsboro.

I have never changed a water pump previously but I "know" how its done. One concern that I have is that there is play in the fan and a bad noise but I have no leak. Is there anyway that the fan could be worn out (bearnings) and not have a problem with the pump?

Even if the pump is good it would seem like a waste to not replace it and the hoses while I was in there. It has not ever been worked on so I know that they should need replacing.

/ Ford 3000 Fan #6  
hmmm...

to the best of my knowledge most fans are just bolted to the shaft of the water pump. so the bearings and the play the you feel are from inside the pump. if it is giving you alot of noise replace it soon or the bearings will get hot and lock up. then you can overheat the motor. replacing a water pump is not all that hard, take your time. maybe you have a buddy that woks on cars that can help you out. Invest in an I&T service bok for your tractor. It should have a section that outlines the steps in replacing the pump.
You New Holland dealer (i assume you will be buying the parts there) should be able to help you out too.

If you have more questions please ask. You can e-mail me if you like.

I have an L2500 Kubota and a bunch of jeeps I take of....

/ Ford 3000 Fan
Thanks for the info cj7. I will be going by to buy a service manuel this afternoon. I just wanted to make sure that what I was thinking was correct and that there would not be any "suprises" more than the ones I expect. Guess it is just time for me to realize that an engine is an engine weather it be in a tractor or car!

/ Ford 3000 Fan #8  
Loafy, I bought a Ford Jubilee from an experienced tractor mechanic a few years ago. Before I took delivery, the deal was that he would replace the water pump. While removing the pump, a wrench slipped and he ended up jamming it into the radiator. Do I need to go on? Anyway, he ended up having to remove the radiator and solder up the hole. In my opinion, removing the radiator is the preferred method. RickB is correct in his advice. A clean cooling system can add a lot of life to your older tractor. You can fix it correctly once or have it be a ongoing problem. Good luck!

/ Ford 3000 Fan
Jinman..... I believe in doing it right or not doing it at all. Thats why I usually have all of my stuuf serviced by a dealer. However, money is tighter than usual at this time so i want to save a few bucks.... but not at the expense of not fixing the tractor correctly.

I picked up a service manuel yesterday and the disasembly looks as straight forward as I had hoped so I will start on it this weekend! Hopefully I wont be putting any wrenches through any radiators!

/ Ford 3000 Fan #10  
I also thik it is wise to pull the rad and take it to a rad shop. Have it clened and tested. Usually about $30-$40 around here. New hoses and thermostate, new fluid. Should be as good as new.