Craftsman tractor tempormental starting

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #1  

GardenFence

Tractor
2001 Kubota BX2200
My 25-hp Craftsman lawn tractor has been tempormental starting this summer. Sometimes needing to boost it with car to start. Topping up battery with water helped a bit. Symptoms are a tic-tic-tic-ticking noise while turning key to start; sometimes no sound; by giving it a short push of 5 ft. (allowing 'things' to turn apparently), after stopping the tractor will normally start. Sometimes starts perfectly.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be? simple as a new battery ? starter ? Thank you.

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #2  
When you say that sometimes it starts perfectly, it makes me suspicious of a bad connection. Check both battery terminals. Take wires right off and clean up both sides of connection. Positive wire will go to solenoid and then to starter. You could check these connections as well, but these are probably less likely to be dirty or loose. Be sure to have negative battery terminal disconnected when you work on these. If this problem was consistent all the time, I would suspect bad battery. Let us know what you find.
-Jay

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #3  
As jbarker said..compressor w/good air pressure for clean hard to reach places/connections.

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #4  
is your mower a ohv valve motor. sears and many others are having serious problems with these mowers after a couple years the valve will get very tight and require adjustments. i happen to also own one and i can turn the motor past compression point and it will start i to for 2 years did the boost trick and heppen to be in a customers shop who does lawnmower repairs and had one just like mine working on it and it was the valves out of adjustment and as far as i know it only applies to the overhead valve engines. maybe this will help.

mitch becton

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #5  
When you say that sometimes it starts perfectly, it makes me suspicious of a bad connection. Check both battery terminals. Take wires right off and clean up both sides of connection. Positive wire will go to solenoid and then to starter. You could check these connections as well, but these are probably less likely to be dirty or loose. Be sure to have negative battery terminal disconnected when you work on these. If this problem was consistent all the time, I would suspect bad battery. Let us know what you find.
-Jay

Dont overlook the connections on the starter solenoid.

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #6  
My 25-hp Craftsman lawn tractor has been tempormental starting this summer. Sometimes needing to boost it with car to start. Topping up battery with water helped a bit. Symptoms are a tic-tic-tic-ticking noise while turning key to start; sometimes no sound; by giving it a short push of 5 ft. (allowing 'things' to turn apparently), after stopping the tractor will normally start. Sometimes starts perfectly.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be? simple as a new battery ? starter ? Thank you.

I expect you need a new battery. Take your old battery in and get it tested. This is usually a no charge service anyhow and you'll know for sure.

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #7  
check system voltage if problems persist, should have 14V give or take with a GOOD battery.

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #8  
Hiii you check your old battery first..and i think you replace it with new one

Wall Mirrors

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #9  
I agree check the connection. I have a 17 Craftsman with a Kohler engine. I have suffered the same issue. I have had corrosion issues on the mower and have had to remove the connectors clean them. I would also go with the lead battery connectors so the corrosion does not completely erode the connector. If this does not work I would check the battery. What has happened on mine is the battery does not recharge due to the loss of connection.

/ Craftsman tractor tempormental starting #10  
Check all connections.

No one has mentioned the ignition switch, Bypass it, but turn switch to the on position. and put 12v on the starter terminal using jumper. and let us know what happened. Of course you need a good battery. I have used Kohler engines for about 40 years.