PTO broke with a Clunk!

/ PTO broke with a Clunk! #1  

moonshine454

Tractor
Mahindra 6000
This is in need of a little back story! We haven't used the PTO on this machine ( '02 Mahindra 6000) for about a year and a half. It was time to do some shredding so we hooked up the shredder. Went to engage the PTO and it was hard to get to engage. Made kind of a grinding sound. It eventually engaged and ran fine. Since then for a few weeks now it has still been hard to engage, but once you run it for awhile it engages better if you have to turn it off. However my dad was running it yesterday and he shut it off to move from one section to another. When he went to re-engage it and it went clunk inside. Now the handle just moves back and forth without doing anything.

How does this PTO work?

What are the multitudes of things that could have gone wrong in there?

Does anyone have a diagram of what it looks like in this machine or anything similar?

What does it take to fix something like this. I am a fair mechanic, but have never been in the rear end of a tractor before. I think I can fix it I just need to know what is involved.

Where do I get a service manual?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This post is also in the Mahindra Owning/Operating Section.

/ PTO broke with a Clunk! #2  
Hope you can find a service manual, but get under there and see if the linkage is hooked up. I'd guess you'll have to get inside the transmission, but exhaust all external possibilities first.

Please do not double post. It doesn't do much more then result in confused threads.

/ PTO broke with a Clunk!
Thanks. I just double posted to get more people to see it.