HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine

/ HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine #1  

2DeereSleds

Tractor
John Deere GT275
Was cutting grass on the weekend and after about 45 minutes, engine made a terrible noise and stalled. Thought I hit something with the deck to cause engine to stall, but no such luck. Engine was CRAZY hot and locked right up! Can't spin flywheel by hand or with starter. Towed her to the shop in dismay, but don't really want to tear it apart, because I'm afraid I'll cry when I see the broken pieces! Oil was right at full mark on dipstick, but engine just couldn't take the heat I guess :(

Trying to find out if engines are still available OR what other engines I could drop in, OR where to get a "short block" to piece back together my original 17hp Kawasaki single. According to JDPARTS, AM105133 & AM106266 are no longer available...

Anyone know where I can find more info on JD Reman engines? I found part numbers BM22093 & BM22095, but neither are recognized as valid Part Numbers on JDPARTS...

HELP!

Thanks
2DeereSleds

/ HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine
Thanks Chris, I saw their website, BUT...

Not too crazy about replacing my Kawasaki with a Briggs (never had good luck with them), not to mention I'm in Ontario.

Bought her in '99, so probably just out of warranty :)

Was wondering if somebody else here has already gone down this road...

Thanks for the link. I might end up there, but for those prices, factoring in difference in the dollar, duties at the border, etc., I can easily buy another used GT275.

Thanks,
2DeereSleds

/ HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine #4  
Thanks Chris, I saw their website, BUT...

Not too crazy about replacing my Kawasaki with a Briggs (never had good luck with them), not to mention I'm in Ontario.

Bought her in '99, so probably just out of warranty :)

Was wondering if somebody else here has already gone down this road...

Thanks for the link. I might end up there, but for those prices, factoring in difference in the dollar, duties at the border, etc., I can easily buy another used GT275.

Thanks,
2DeereSleds

I am with you on the Briggs, I can not keep them working either. Only one I have left is on my Genny. Same story with GM products and Mercury boat motors. Never had luck with them either.

Chris

Callled a couple local JD dealer sand was shocked when Parts Depts gave me price of $3000 for short block (i.e. with no head) for 17 hp kawasaki engine! Unbelievable...

Turns out I threw a rod and a local repair shop had an identical engine for less than $1000. Hope to get her back this week! :)

Cheers!
2DeereSleds

/ HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine #6  
I say Junk It. I'll never own anything else with a Kawasaki Engine!!!! Ever!!! My mother bought a GT275 in 2001 with the 17HP Kawasaki Engine. Didn't use it much the first year. The second year and one month out of warranty it slings a rod (Sucked the oil pan gasket into the crankcase and dumped the oil). Call the dealer and they say "Tuff Luck" you haven't changed the air filter. She tells them, that yes she has that she buys all her filters from them. They say, oh yeah you did didn't you. She only cuts 1 acre. Called another dealer that said they could get it warrantied, and they did.

In the mean time I had bought a GT 275 in 2002 with the same 17HP Kawasaki Engine. About 6 months out of warranty the oil light comes on when my wife is mowing and she immediately shuts it down. I take it to the dealer and guess what???? Sucked the oil pan gasket into the crankcase and dumped the oil. Got a rebuild and installed an hour meter. John Deere didn't supply one. At 250 hours after the rebuild it locked up.

Now my mother and I are both dilegent in changing oil and filter. We also reguarly changed the air filters in both lawnmowers. The dealer where I bought my mower told me that they had problems with the Kawasaki Engine in the GT 275, but that John Deere wouldn't admit it.

My dealer also wanted about $1500.00 for a short block and I couldn't find a suitable replacement. I spoke with a small engine shop about changing over to a Briggs or Kohler and he said it would cost about $2000.00 with all the needed parts.

If I were you I would check the side of the block on the used engine that you are looking at. Right beside the starter. If the side of the engine is oily (unless they have cleaned it up) I would spend my $1000.00 as a down payment on a mower with a Kohler or Briggs. A Commercial Kohler Pro Command or Commercial Briggs.

When I went to buy a UTV and Zero Turn I didn't even look at the John Deere, because of the Kawasaki.

JMHO.

Chris

/ HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine #7  
Google Jim's Repair, maybe www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com. He repowers small tractors, and explains how. I would opt for a vanguard 18hp twin. Once you've had a twin, you'll never want to go back to a single. A power pulse every xcrankshaft revolution, and smooth power torque. Meow.....:D

/ HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine #8  
Google Jim's Repair, maybe www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com. He repowers small tractors, and explains how. I would opt for a vanguard 18hp twin. Once you've had a twin, you'll never want to go back to a single. A power pulse every xcrankshaft revolution, and smooth power torque. Meow.....:D

/ HELP! GT275 Suspected Blown Engine #9  
I say Junk It. I'll never own anything else with a Kawasaki Engine!!!! Ever!!! My mother bought a GT275 in 2001 with the 17HP Kawasaki Engine. Didn't use it much the first year. The second year and one month out of warranty it slings a rod (Sucked the oil pan gasket into the crankcase and dumped the oil). Call the dealer and they say "Tuff Luck" you haven't changed the air filter. She tells them, that yes she has that she buys all her filters from them. They say, oh yeah you did didn't you. She only cuts 1 acre. Called another dealer that said they could get it warrantied, and they did.

In the mean time I had bought a GT 275 in 2002 with the same 17HP Kawasaki Engine. About 6 months out of warranty the oil light comes on when my wife is mowing and she immediately shuts it down. I take it to the dealer and guess what???? Sucked the oil pan gasket into the crankcase and dumped the oil. Got a rebuild and installed an hour meter. John Deere didn't supply one. At 250 hours after the rebuild it locked up.

Now my mother and I are both dilegent in changing oil and filter. We also reguarly changed the air filters in both lawnmowers. The dealer where I bought my mower told me that they had problems with the Kawasaki Engine in the GT 275, but that John Deere wouldn't admit it.

My dealer also wanted about $1500.00 for a short block and I couldn't find a suitable replacement. I spoke with a small engine shop about changing over to a Briggs or Kohler and he said it would cost about $2000.00 with all the needed parts.

If I were you I would check the side of the block on the used engine that you are looking at. Right beside the starter. If the side of the engine is oily (unless they have cleaned it up) I would spend my $1000.00 as a down payment on a mower with a Kohler or Briggs. A Commercial Kohler Pro Command or Commercial Briggs.

When I went to buy a UTV and Zero Turn I didn't even look at the John Deere, because of the Kawasaki.

JMHO.

Chris

I have had exactally the opposite experience. A lot of bad experiences with kohler have made me not even look at mowers with them on it. The most recient is my uncles gravely ZTR with 600hrs on it. Started burning oil very badly. It was a kohler magnum 20 twin. Out of warrenty due to only using it as a homeowner. We rebuilt it but the pistons were toast. I dont like the way they step the piston down to a smaller diameter above the top ring. It just lets carbon build up.

On the other side, I have had nothing but good luck with kaw motors. My current JD 240 mower was purchased by my father new in 1989, and has mowed 3-4 acres of grass every year since. And the only parts ever replaced were the usual filters, belts, and spark plug. And I cant even begin to guess the hours it has because the 61" commercial ZTR he replaced it with 5 years ago already has ~750 hours on it. And it too has the KAW 23HP motor and no problems with it either.

Have also had good luck out of out 10 year old splitter with a Briggs INTEK 6.5HP that has split 25-30 cords per year.

If I had to rate the the most common small engines based on MY experiences it would be
1. Kawasaki
2. Briggs
3.Techumsa
4. Kohler

To the OP: just going off my memory here but I think my owners manual is for the 240 and the 265. The 265 had a 17HP Kaw motor as well. So maybe one ot the older 265 motors will work on your 275??? and if so, the smaller 14 HP in the 240's may work also???? I know my motor is the FC420V and the 17HP that my old manual lists is the FC540V. If your motor says that on top, then they have made that motor for a long time and I would think parts would be easy to come by. Forget the dealer, look online.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Rewind to 2010; I decided to go with an identical (used) 17hp Kawasaki engine & it finally blew up on the weekend... UNBELIEVABLE!!!

So now, I am looking at "repowering" it with another engine. Has anyone on TBN done this?

My problem is the companies previously recommended won't sell or ship to Canada!

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2DeereSleds