Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota M5040

Default Re: I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ???

Jim, You didn't mention if the tractor is kept outside, or if so how much rain you have gotten. The way I found out about this site was about a year ago I had the same problem you described on my Ford 4000. I was trying to figure out how in the world I was getting water in the tranny as it doesn't have a transmission cooler. While I was thinking the worst, someone much wiser than I informed me that he had experienced rain seeping into his transmission around the shifter levers. This turned out to be my problem and afterwards I kept a 5 gallon bucket upside down over the shifters and never had anymore problems. It saved me alot of headaches and I am so glad to have found such a great group of guys with the experience they have that are always ready to assist newcomers.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1986 Ford 1910 with 770B (FORD) loader, 4 MFWD; 1986 Bolens G214,back hoe,loader,MFWD (Iseki) 21 hp)

Default Re: I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ???

As noted, the likely culprit is the shifting lever gasket/collar. I have an Iseki 21 hp diesel that got water into the transmission/hydraulic fluid. There is a rubber collar were the shift lever entered the transmission about the size of a dounut that was split. The only other concievable entry point is the vent located, on my tractor, on the top of the differential a little to the right. This has a cover on it and the water would have to puddle to get in- unlikely but maybe possible with snow/ice, I keep an aerosol paint can cap over it for insurance.
    Although the split collar was the ultimate culprit the situation was aggrevated by the accordian like rubber boot around the shift lever being torn thus allowing water to get to the collar.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 HSTC, International 2400, Hesston 1280,

Default Re: I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix

The way I used to check engine oil for water, was while engine was running to stir the oil & the exhaust manifold was hot, would just pull the dipstick out & drop oil on the hot manifold. If pure oil, just spreads & runs, if water, it frys or boils.
    Seems like this should work to check other oils also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12