I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ???

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #1  
Tractor
Still searching
I just purchased a Yanmar YM2200 tractor. When I found pressure being released from the tranny reservoir when I removed the cap to check the fluid level, I decided to change the tranny fluid. In doing so, I found it to be milky in color, which I feel was due to a water/hyd. oil mixture.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how this water could have gotten in???
Not knowing how long this tranny fluid has been like this, could damage have been done to the tranny? It sounds good and shifts without a problem.

Thanks,
Jim

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #2  
Is the tractor new?? used???
Also, the tranny/hydraulic system circulates the oil around at a pretty good rate causing it to get a 'milky' appearance to it when it is drained into a pan right after use. This is why tranny/hydraulic fluid must be of the 'non-foaming' type. The 'milky' appearance could be just the gazillions of tiny air bubbles that sometimes form in hydraulic systems while in use. Or is it actually a 'milky' appearance like sometimes shows up in engine crankcasees?? Could it be from condensation??? forming in thesystem??? Maybe these will give you something to look for --- hope I helped!! Good Luck

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #3  
Jim,

I'm not familar with the Yanmar, but thought I'd throw my .02 out about fluid contamination in general.

As hydraman mentioned, it could be just air bubbles, or it could be normal condensation that's build up over the years cause nobody but us tractor fanatics change the fluid. If it was a grey market tractor, it could of spent a lot of time in a rice field, and you could be draining genuine Japanese water out of there.

If the stuff that you drained out is still around, you can check it after it's sit for a couple of days to get an idea of what's going on. Air bubbles will disperse by themselves. Water doesn't mix with the oil, it just gets dispersed, and it is heavier then oil, so it will settle out over time to the bottom of the container.

You didn't mention any green color, and I'm assuming the tractor doesn't have a trans cooler that interfaces with the engine cooling system, so the water must of come from outside.

Check the vent for the trans, make sure the factory shield is in place.

As to how much damage may of occured, that's hard to say. My general experience is that unless an appreciable amount of water settles out, the tractor will handle it ok. The fact that it sounds normal is a good sign.

Two examples from personal experience can illustrate the extremes of what can happen.

I had an old Farmall 400 tractor that came to me with milky fluid in the trans. I drained the fluid and noticed a few months later it was milky again. I drained it again, and it got milky again. It spent it's storage time out in the weather (had too), and I never could find where the rain water was leaking into the trans. But, frankly, I never spent much time looking either. This was a tractor that was on it's last legs in a lot of areas, and I wasn't going to spend a lot of time fixing something that wasn't completely broke. I would occasionally loosen the drain plug before operating the tractor and let any water drain out and go on my way. The trans never gave me any trouble, unlike many other parts of the tractor.

On the other hand. My dozer uses a cooler for the powershift trans located below the radiator that interfaces with the engine coolant. This cooler developed an internal leak and dumped about 4 gallons of antifreeze into the trans before I noticed anything. I actually noticed increased whine from the plantenary gears of the trans before anything else. Then saw the unusually high coolant temp and shut it down. But the damage was already done. The trans pressure is now about 20 psi less then it was before, and the whine stayed. The trans still operates fine otherwise, but I suspect I shortened it's life by 30-50%.

In your case I would just drain it out, check the trans vent, and then just keep a watch on it for a while. Probably it was just a case of poor maintenance by the previous owners that you caught in time.

HTH,
Dave

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #4  
Hydraulic fluid contains about 10% water
in new oil, it will absorb more so it doesn't
damage the system.
Could be oil has absorbed all the water it can,
hence milky color.
If u have small vaccum pump, put in container
and pull vaccum on it, this will boil water out of oil.
I've done this before

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #5  
If it's true water in the hydraulics then it has either gotten in one of two ways. If the oil hasn't been changed for a long time you will get condensation on the inside of the transmission over time. If the oil isn't changed it will just get worse over time. Secondly the plug could have been left out when it was being changed, they could have not put a seal in right when they worked on the hydraulics or the transmission, etc. Somehow it is getting water leaking in from being out in the weather.

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ???
To all of you who have given me ideas and the help I needed.
Thank you and hopefully, if I make it through this FIRST TRACTOR experience, I'll be able to help those in need of help in the future.

Thanks again,
Jim

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #7  
I would like to see some verification of that 10% figure, or the hat you pulled it out of. Thanks in advance.

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #8  
Welcome to the tractor world!
/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #9  
Our college teacher worked for BP in lab
testing there products.
He has paperwork on it and showed what happens
when u put oil in a vaccum.
Like when a pump cavitates (suction resistance)
the sound is water boiling out of oil due to lower than
atmospheric pressure.
It will destroy a pump in a hurry.
Try it in your garage and u can see the water boil out
of oil (keep in sealed container and release vaccum and water will be absorbed back in oil).

/ I can use your help --tranny fluid / water mix ??? #10  
I still don't buy the figure of 10% water in oil new in the package. I understand how cavitation works, but you have not verified your statement, or shown me where I can verify it.