Farmall 460 Hydraulics

/ Farmall 460 Hydraulics #1  

Rford

Gold Member
Tractor
1966 Ford 2000 Diesel 8sp
Please bear with me....I'm not much of a tractor mechanic....I have this old Farmall 460 that a friend lets me use to till food plots. It tilled OK last year and I've had it running again this year but here's the deal. The hydraulic system grinds/whines/screeches but I can get the lift up and down. And last year it worked ok despite the noises which really don't sound right. But what do I know. This year, the thing seems to cycle up and down on its own....I can work the level a little and get it to stop but somethings messed up. And when I took off the cap on top of what I assume is the hydraulic pump in front of my feet, it was clear full...which might mean its overfilled. And to me it seemed a little too milky which usually means H20 in the system.

All I really want or need is for the 3 pt hitch to raise and lower on command and not through some demon control. And it would be nice if it didn't sound like I was stripping gears out of a 1963 Dart every time I moved the lever.

/ Farmall 460 Hydraulics #2  
It's a shame to here that the housing was full. It probably has ruined the hydraulic system depending on how idle it has been but it is full of water.

You could try a quick change of filter and oils.

I wouldn't buy to expensive of an oil as you would need to change it one more time at least to get that amount of water out even trying to rinse it!