Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems #1  

Spaceman

Tractor
Kubota B2100
I have a 95 Kubota B2100HST. I am having some very frustrating starter problems. Last summer (2009) the starter started clicking, that is not engaging with the flywheel. Not all the time, just periodically until November when it did it all too frequently. I initially replaced the key switch because I was getting 7.3v at the solenoid and the battery was at 12.3v. This didn稚 cure the problem and I found the battery was 14 years old and replaced it. This did the trick until Last April (2010) when it started again. I had the battery tested and it had full power.
I finally brought the starter to be rebuilt last week because I could hardly start the tractor anymore. Guess what? It still did not engage! The technician told me he replaced the solenoid, brushes and bushings. I知 still getting a voltage drop to just over 7v at the solenoid. I致e checked all the wiring from the key switch, the main battery cable and nothing indicates anything over 0.2 ohms. There is full battery voltage to the key switch and the starter motor, the injectors are reading the proper resistance, I致e cleaned the battery terminals, and the where the ground attaches on the chassis. I致e jumpered out the safety switches to see if they were a problem. Nothing works. However, if I cross the starter terminal directly to the solenoid with a screwdriver, it works every time.
I am at my wits end. My only possible answer next is, is the correct starter in there? It has a Mitsubishi label on it. Is it possible the previous owner put a substitute in? What in the world is happening here?

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems #2  
I have a 95 Kubota B2100HST. I知 still getting a voltage drop to just over 7v at the solenoid.

If starter works every time with screwdriver shorting, then it's generally not the starter. I'm thinking that it's the soleniod. If only 7v when you're NOT turning the key (on the battery side of solenoid) then you have a bad connection somewhere.
Mike

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems
The solenoid was supposably replaced when the restarter was rebuilt last week. I'm getting the 7v at the solenoid when the key is turned to start. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Thanks for your help.

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems #4  
What do you get when the key isn't turned to start? Again, if jumpering the solenoid works every time, it points to the solenoid as the culprit...

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems #5  
Cub Cadets are famous for the no start "Click". You are not getting 12 volts to the starter solenoid. You need a wiring diagram to determine if the start circuit has a "Relay" built in. If the the starter circuit does not have a relay built in add one and your problem will disappear. Do a search in the Cub Cadet forum and you will find tons of information.

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems #6  
If you can take a heavy wire and go from battery to the start terminal of the solenoid, then the voltage level is being dropped before the solenoid. If the solenoid just clicks when you turn the key, then the voltage is being lost, probably in a relay contact, or loose connection, or a wire is frayed and is only using only a couple of strands for the current.

Check the voltage at each junction from the battery to the start terminal.

Replace the relay, and check wire ends and terminals, and or fuse housing for corrosion, etc.

Are you getting 7 volts before the starter is even turning. That is definitely not right. It would be normal to read this level as the starter is drawing current.

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems
The wire from the key switch runs to the solenoid with 3 safety switches in between. It is only active when the switch is turned to start. I've jumpered out all the safety switches to see if there was a problem, but no change. The resistance from the switch to the solenoid is .2 ohms, and that is the same of the leads on the multimeter. I also checked for a short to ground and none exists

While the voltage drops to 7.3v when the switch turns to start, it returns to battery voltage when if I disconnect the solenoid.

I just had it rebuilt, and the technician said he replaced the solenoid, bushings and brushes. Unless the new solenoid is bad (or the place ripped me off and never replaced the solenoid), or the starter is not original equipment or replacement, I have to suspect the previous owner put in the wrong replacement.

There are only 700hrs on the tractor now. I can't imagine it already had a starter replacement before I bought it at 570hrs. It is a Mitsubishi starter, and all the replacement parts I've bought in the past say Kubota on them.

I'm considering buying a 6v relay and using it to activate the solenoid with 12v from the battery cable on the starter. Don't want to screw anything up as this is my favorite toy.

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems #8  
Did you Turn the switch, and touch the start terminal with 12 directly from the battery? If the solenoid and starter are good, the engine will turn over. If not, try a battery jumper cable and touch the starter B+ terminal. If the solenoid is built on to the starter, you might not be able to do this. Somewhere in those safety switches, you are losing voltage. When you take a starter to a starter shop, he will put 12v directly to the starter and see if it turns.

/ Frustrating Kubota Starter Problems #9  
voltage drops to 7.3v
I'd bet 2 bits you have a connection problem. Or a bum batt.

With your volt meter, start at the battery 'posts' and work your way down to your voltage loss.