Changing Hydraulic/Gear Oil/Bolens(Iseki 4x4 Tractor

/ Changing Hydraulic/Gear Oil/Bolens(Iseki 4x4 Tractor #1  

ampa

Gold Member
So far I've changed the engine oil twice so far including the engine filter/air/fuel.....I have the repair manual for this grey market tractor,but maybe it's missing some pages not too sure....Trans/Rear Axle fluid has water in it long before I owned it ( which is about 3 years) due to a bad shift boot I've since repaired....I have a feeling this part of the tractor must have a filter of some sort but don't have a clue where it be....perhaps Dfrug can help me by sending a pic of where the filter would be located, since he has worked on these grey market tractors in the past and maybe he has a more complete manual than the one I have....many thanks and much appreciated in advance......Ampa:)

Last edited:
   / Changing Hydraulic/Gear Oil/Bolens(Iseki 4x4 Tractor
Hi guys I really need some info on this subject...I've got 20 litres of new trans/gear/hydraulic fluid....and it be a real waste to contaminate this fresh new oil by leaving a dirty filter behind,I needed to jump this to the top of the list as it slipped down quite a few spaces.I do need to change it out before this winter or maybe I'll have big problems down the road with leaving the milky stuff in for another winter,so far no noise or problems,I really don't know how long the hydraulic/gear oil mixed with water has been in this tractor....also should I remove the hydraulic lines as well and blow out all traces of this contaminated oil? just another question I forgot to ask..... take care Ampa

/ Changing Hydraulic/Gear Oil/Bolens(Iseki 4x4 Tractor #3  
You might consider a two step approach, as there is contamination.

First step. Cheapest no name fluid you can buy and two quarts of kero or diesel. Bring to operational temps and circulate well for an hour or two of light operation. Drain.

Then put in the fluid of your choosing, perhaps one a higher grade/price.

/ Changing Hydraulic/Gear Oil/Bolens(Iseki 4x4 Tractor #4  
If the tractor in your pic is a Bolens G152 or one in the series, there is no filter. Only a screen located under the right side floorboard. It is in a 6-8 inch cylinder. you must loosen the bolts that hold the line at the top of it to get the screen out. Clean it and reinstall, that's it. No filter.

Hi Storm....I have the G-174=17 hp diesel 4 wheel drive G-152=15 hp 2 wheel drive...that is my tractor pictured on the left top corner the same day I bought it approx 3 years ago....looks different now since I painted it green and white....JD green was closest to the original Bolens two tone green and white...thanks Storm for all the info on the screen filter....I was thinking if I were to pump in some air I should be able to get most of the old contaminated fluid out.....this stuff is not cheap to buy....I could dump some diesel fuel in it to wash it out....even diesel fuel up here in Canada costs more than $5 a gal these days.....Ampa

Last edited:
   / Changing Hydraulic/Gear Oil/Bolens(Iseki 4x4 Tractor #6  
Hello Ampa - Sounds like you have the model designations down! I do not have a 174 but I think the oil screen setup would be the same. I have not changed fluid in mine for a few years but I am reasonably certain this little cylinder I spoke of is on the right hand side. The line that goes in the top of it is about 1/2 inch or so, low pressure return side I believe.

Fluid is not cheap but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a tranny, rear, or pump! If you do a change, run it for 10-15 hours or so and change it again, then you should be in pretty good shape.

These are good little tractors. I have had mine since 1984 and other than routine maintenance and changing the shifter boot and one headlight I have never done anything to the tractor. I have had to fix a few things on the mower deck but she is still cutting my lawn today!

I read ya on changing it twice....and I too love these tractors with their cast iron trans cases which sure beat anything built these days of cast aluminium....built in Japan probley have hardened steel gears....hope no one breaks my bubble on this comment,you mentioned changing the shift boot,I made one from the top of a Gator drink bottle,keeps the water out,anyhow glad I'm getting the info I needed to know what to do,I could keep the new fluid in and change it again in the spring,this town house I live in does not require much grass cutting so I must sell my Douglass Finish mower and just use my tractor for snow removal only,driveways are way too close together as well, so the plow wins hands down over a snowblower,Thanks Storm56.....Take care Ampa :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you could show me some kind of a drawing pointing where that filter/screen is ,I'm a bit confused by you mentioning under the floor board and then the line in connection,I don't want to remove the wrong part,sorry I guess old age does something to ones mind.....Thanks once again....Ampa

/ Changing Hydraulic/Gear Oil/Bolens(Iseki 4x4 Tractor #9  
Sure not a problem. Tomorrow I will check it out and get a pic. I have never posted pics here before so if you shoot me a PM with your email I can forward.

/ Changing Hydraulic/Gear Oil/Bolens(Iseki 4x4 Tractor #10  
Ampa you have an email. I did mispeak. The housing I refer to is behind the right floorboard directly under the range lever.