JD 4300 Battery Replace

/ JD 4300 Battery Replace #1  

brohloff

Tractor
JD4300
Have a 2001 4300 with 170 hrs on it. Original OEM battery (sticker on side marked "Sept 00") getting a little weak so want to replace it b4 winter.
Have read on this forum all the troubles with the OEM 22NF battery on these models and seem not to have any of these leaking, corrosion issues. Tray and Hyd cooler good shape yet.

Wondering what most are using as a replacement? Only 22NF's found here are 390CCA's rather than the OEM 500CCA's. Found a Energizer 51R at Sam's Club with 495CCA's for a reasonable $58 that is close in size but it has the 2 rectangular cell caps that many say to avoid due to leaking, etc.

Are these std snap top type batteries still a potential leaking issue and one should go with a maintenance free or sealed ($$$) unit? Or was that(leaking) just an issue with the original OEM batteries? Suggestions?
bob...

/ JD 4300 Battery Replace #2  
I just replaced the battery in my 4300 with a Deere battery. It was a sealed one and so far so good. It was different from the yellow battery that I took out.

/ JD 4300 Battery Replace #3  
What a coincidence. My battery from 06/2006 on my 2001 JD 4200 just puked.

I didn't want to get another Deere battery; but everything I found either had less CCA's than the OEM battery, or would require me to fab up mounting brackets. Fabbing the brackets is no big deal; but I don't need the distraction.

I see the Deere batteries are now sealed maintenance free types. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to see if they have one in stock.

/ JD 4300 Battery Replace #4  
   / JD 4300 Battery Replace #5  
Not an endorsment, but if you search the term "optima" you will get plenty of battery threads and suggestions for replacement.

/ JD 4300 Battery Replace #6  
Battery went in my 4700 about 4 years ago. Just went to Sam's club and bought one. Champion brand I believe. Been working fine and at about 1/2 the cost of JD.

/ JD 4300 Battery Replace #7  
I see the Deere batteries are now sealed maintenance free types. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to see if they have one in stock.

I imagine that JD is going to want well North of 100 clams for one of
their batteries. If so, go for an Optima as Kenny suggests.

I just buy a cheapo EverStart from Walmart.

BTW, I have a Panasonic battery in one of my cars and it is 11 years
old. I have never had a battery last so long, not even close.

Last edited:
   / JD 4300 Battery Replace #8  

Yes got a Deere battery a year ago and it was over $100 plus had to wait 2 weeks for the dealer to get it. On the positive side (no pun intended) haven't had any problems with it.

/ JD 4300 Battery Replace #9  
The JD 4300 replacement for me earlier this summer was $108 less $10 for old one back.
It is sealed, fits, and I didn't have to wait for it :) .

/ JD 4300 Battery Replace #10  

I just buy a cheapo Everlast from Walmart.

BTW, I have a Panasonic battery in one of my cars and it is 11 years
old. I have never had a battery last so long, not even close.

Yep, $108 and change + 2.9% tax.

The JD 4300 replacement for me earlier this summer was $108 less $10 for old one back.
It is sealed, fits, and I didn't have to wait for it :) .

I could have gotten a Sears Die-Hard Group 51R for $10 - $30 less, along with less CCA's and making my own hold-down bracket.

I thought about Wally-World; but their web site didn't list car batteries, or at least I couldn't find them on the site, and I didn't want to waste my time there along with possibly being mistaken for a Wal-Martian in my grubby clothes. :)

Since the battery failure seemed odd as I recently put about 40-hours on the clock over the past 2 - 3 weeks; I'm going to pull the alternator and have it tested in case the regulator or some sort of other sparky issue exists in it. I hope not as I don't need that expense.