blown head gasket or cracked head?

/ blown head gasket or cracked head? #1  

rscott11473

Tractor
ym 2210
what would be a proceedure to determin if a head is cracked.

engine over heated (leaking radiator). fixed radiator, reassembled and finished tilling. Next day when trying to start blew water out of vertivle exhaust stack. when disassembled both cylinders full of water. none in carnkcase so ruled out cylinder sleeves. how do I determine if cracked head?

/ blown head gasket or cracked head? #2  
You could take it to a shop and have them check it.:)

/ blown head gasket or cracked head? #3  
what would be a proceedure to determin if a head is cracked.

engine over heated (leaking radiator). fixed radiator, reassembled and finished tilling. Next day when trying to start blew water out of vertivle exhaust stack. when disassembled both cylinders full of water. none in carnkcase so ruled out cylinder sleeves. how do I determine if cracked head?

Was the gasket blown? Take a razor blade and scrap the head and look for cracks. You might have to take it to a head shop and have the check it out to be on the safe side but most of the time you can c the crack if there is one. (sometimes not tho)

/ blown head gasket or cracked head? #4  
A process called manafluxing on the head will tell if he head is cracked. The head gaskets normally show if they are blown.

Roy caught my spelling!

Last edited:
   / blown head gasket or cracked head? #5  
A process called manafluxing on the head will tell if he head is cracked. The head gaskets normally show if they are blown.

That's Magnafluxing...which is actually called Magnetic Particle Inspection. Magnaflux is a name of a company that manufactures non-destructive inspection/testing equipment (including magnetic particle test equipment).

As far as determining if it's a blown head gasket or cracked head, the engine's head has to be pulled, unfortunately.