Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL

/ Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL #1  

Steelfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
After about 6 times of taking my FEL Off and On, I developed a major leak at one of the connection./w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif The top quick connect, or on my TC21 the red colored one, is leaking pretty bad. I wanted to get in to my shed, so I put a cloth under it to move it, it still leaked on the floor./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Anyone have an idea why? I tried reconnecting about 4 times, while cleaning it to make sure no dirt was in it. Still leaks pretty bad. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Kent

/ Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL #2  
Kent, does it leak from the male, or female fitting? Does it leak directly from the orifice? or, could it be leaking where the fitting is swaged into the hose?

If it's from the orifice, you've got a bad check ball or spring. Or dirt in there. With the male fitting, use a small pin punch and hammer a lightly tap the check ball. If the female fitting is leaking, do the same thing. <font color=red>This woud be a good time to wear those nice SAFETY GLASSES, wouldn't it? Also, if the fitting is on the tractor end, make sure you relieve the system pressure first by jiggling the loader joystick!</font color=red> If the fitting still leaks after that, you probably have a hose to replace. Warranty still in effect?

If the fitting is leaking where the fitting is installed into the hose...well, you'll need a new hose. Your New Holland isn't that old...should be a warranty item.

/ Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL
Thanks Roy,

It seems to be the female end. I kind of thought there was dirt in it, but I tried to clean it out. I'll try the tapping thing. The connection seems to go in easier then the rest. Just seems like something isn't connecting properly. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

Kent

/ Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL #4  
Check for a missing/mangled/pinched 'O' ring. My SCV quick connects on my JD has 'O' rings, yours might to. Compare it against one not leaking.
Just a thought.

Thanks Wally, I didn't get to the Tractor tonight. I got home after dark. I'll be at it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Kent

/ Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL #6  
Kent,

Don't have any advice for you/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. Just want to wish your tractor a speedy recovery!

Thanks Hazmat, Rained today all day, so I didn't get to work on it. I have tomorrow off, so I'll be working on it then. I'll definite need to check the fluid level before I run it. Horrible to clean up the mess too. Thanks Again , Talk to you later
Kent

/ Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL #8  
The easiest and quickest fix is to just replace the whole dissconect they are fairly cheap and you back in the seat. look at all the down time wasted on a $10.00 part. one little scratch or dent on the male end will cause leaking. there is a lot of pressure in a hydraulic system. this link has hydraulic couplers <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLCategoryDisplayView?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=458805&categoryId=1501>http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLCategoryDisplayView?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=458805&categoryId=1501</A>

/ Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL #9  
How old is the tractor, they have 2 yr warranty, I would call dealer first
they might give u the new coupler that u need.
I would think the spring broke that holds the ball shut.

/ Major Leak at Quick Connect for FEL #10  
hi the problem that you have is the oring in the coupler is cut i work for a new holland dealer and i will get you the part number for the oring ( it is very hard to find in the parts book) the orings tend to cut when the hoses are disconnected or connected under pressure comon problem with all coupler no matter what color the tractor when you get the oring it is very easy to install and when you hook up the hoses try to install them as strait as you can pick up a couple extra orings you will need them in the future good luck and i will get you the new holland part number Gary