Default L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE

I been losing power on the front loader for a while (LA 480). I already ordered a kit (springs and valves) and replaced them in the valves' assembly, however the problem is still there. I probably didn't do something correctly, so the valves are not aligned, or something similar. I have no loss of hydraulic fluid at all, it just that the loader operates with less power, regardless of the position of the handle (dump/raise/etc).

At this point I'm ready to look for a factory replacement (online), but this would come close to $1,500 for that valve. I could probably do that replacement myself, and not worry that I will mess something up.

What do you think? Do I have other options? I hate to go to local dealer, as I was always ripped off (compared with online outsourcing).

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by topaz107
    I been losing power on the front loader for a while (LA 480). I already ordered a kit (springs and valves) and replaced them in the valves' assembly, however the problem is still there. I probably didn't do something correctly, so the valves are not aligned, or something similar. I have no loss of hydraulic fluid at all, it just that the loader operates with less power, regardless of the position of the handle (dump/raise/etc).

At this point I'm ready to look for a factory replacement (online), but this would come close to $1,500 for that valve. I could probably do that replacement myself, and not worry that I will mess something up.

What do you think? Do I have other options? I hate to go to local dealer, as I was always ripped off (compared with online outsourcing).
    Why is it loosing power? Pump worn? Relief valve failed? Worn or blown out piston seal? Was the pressure checked? Dealers are expensive, and for a reason. They have to send mechanics all over the country for training on these machines, then purchase boxes of special tools from the manufacturer to do the job.

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Re: L2900 GST FRONT END LOADER CONTROL VALVE

Have you checked the hydraulic pressure with a gauge?? If so, was it in spec?
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

I agree with the last two posts.

Spend $20 and get a guage and some fitting and test the pressure.

If you have Quick disconnects, It makes it easier. Instead of buying a QD when I checked mine, I just borrowed the one for the loader itself and put it back on when I was done.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

G'day very rarely are the control valves the culprit for loosing hyd pressure as stated check your pump capacity out i agree with others that a gauge into a line will give you system and relief pressure when that line is stalled out but i have seen systems capable of making relief pressure (just) but still with poor performance, you really need access to a flow meter with a load valve so the pump can be checked out correctly

Jon
    Last edited by banjodunn; 09-30-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Gotta start proof reading!!!

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Does your relief valve activate when you fully extend the cylinders? If it does, the the pump is probably good. If not, that means that the pressure is below the set pressure for the relief. Either the pump is worn out, or the valve is bypassing . If FEL cylinders are leaking, then the fluid may not build up enough pressure to lift your load limits.

One of my hyd pumps was by-passing , and I could only lift about half my limit. I tore it apart, and it was obvious that it was worn.

Install a hyd gage to verify and monitor the hyd system.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

I would agree with checking the Hyd pressure. If the spring is broke or something simple like that it would cause a drastic change in pressure and possibly pressure falling or decreasing. That would be a simple cheap fix.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.