Cylinder seal replacement

/ Cylinder seal replacement #1  

Iellis

Tractor
Kubota 2500DT
Just replaced the gland and piston assembly on one of my FEL bucket cylinders. Everything went well but now the bucket seems to stick a little toward the end of the dump when empty. I didn't lubricate the seals at all except to apply some hydro fluid to make the install easy. Should I have greased or oiled them before install?
Ian
Texas

/ Cylinder seal replacement #2  
Iellis, Welcome to TBN:welcome:

Best to disconnect rod from tractor and extend all the way out.....then rotate it to see if the rod's bent.....if not then you probably have a dent in your cyl barrel.....when you repacked it did you notice if the piston head had a flat spot on it or was the piston seal chunked out or worn in one spot?

You can also use a straight edge on the outside in several places of the barrel to check for slightly bent barrel or dents.....

/ Cylinder seal replacement #3  
was it doing this before? if not you may have a air pocket in the cylinder. others on here will have alot better advice,but I think I would crack the line on the cylinder and see if any air comes out. Be careful not to have your arm in the way of anything that may drop when you crack the line. zman

/ Cylinder seal replacement
It was functioning correctly before the seal replacement. The rod looked perfect. If there is trapped air, how would I bleed that out? Would it help to lubricate the rod in some way?
Ian
Texas

/ Cylinder seal replacement #5  
Yea, You should have lubed the seals but thats not the problem....if it's air then just cycle it in full strokes and the air with expell itself back into the reservoir....

/ Cylinder seal replacement
wdchyd said:
Yea, You should have lubed the seals but thats not the problem....if it's air then just cycle it in full strokes and the air with expell itself back into the reservoir....

Great, I'll do the full stroke cycle. I don't mind pulling it apart to lube the seals. What should I use to lube them?

/ Cylinder seal replacement #7  
Multipurpose grease #2 works well.....I use Mobil XTP....but the exact brand is not that important......just make sure it clean/new........

They make special silicone based stuff but I'd rather see it mix in with the hyd oil when it gets diluted internally.......