help with parts

/ help with parts #1  

cj7

Gold Member
Tractor
L2500
Ok guys I could really use some help here. Took the L2500DT in for repair of the 3pt. Upon inspection we found that the piston the runs the lift arms is deepley scored. Of course this also took out the top-cover.

What I need to knock down my cost is a source for used parts or a dealer to call that is very reasonable. The two most expensive parts are the top-cover ($550) and the piston ($50).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is pretty much a bummer the machine only has 100 hours on it. Something got inside and did a number on it.

Thanks guys.

/ help with parts #2  
Why is this not being covered by warranty? Kubota has one of the best. The only way something should get into the cylinder area is thru a faulty filter, trash,( ie left over metal from machine work from when it was built) Think I would have to do some bitching on this repair, unless you know it is something you did.

/ help with parts
well i am the second owner of the tractor. The warrenty would be up since the tractor was originally purchased in june of '99. I am planning on at least asking my dealer though. It can not hurt.

/ help with parts #4  
If no help with the warranty, would it be possible to repair them with "JB Weld" or something like that? I know you can repair oil seal grooves in shafts with that stuff. For $600 worth of parts I would at least let a good machine shop have a look at them.

/ help with parts #5  
cj7,

I would think along the lines norm suggests to fill and resurface. This is a machined casting and you will need to have the deep scores welded/filled then resurface with a cylinder hone. You might want to check the yellow pages for local auto engine rebuilders or a good machine shop.

Another option is to bore out and put a thin liner in but this might be as costly as the new casting.

I had my L185 3pt lift mech apart (similar to 2500 just older) since the arms would not raise suspecting a similar problem.

If I recall the piston has an o-ring. Not sure about what might be in yours tho. Mine was a plugged filter problem /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

/ help with parts
Yes mine has the O-ring. As of now I am leaning toward honeing the bore and polishing the piston. The piston has the deepest groove but it does not run to the edge. The bore only has a couple of spots that are (med) bad..

Hopefully this will work and then I can find good parts over the winter and do the labor myself. Either way it is going to coast about the same replacing parts. The old budget is already swelling a bit!

Thanks for the help thusfar.

/ help with parts #7  
cj7,

I would buy a new piston and repair the casting with JB Weld. You will need to hone the casting some after application though this will be much cheaper and if it works well no needto buy the $550 casting. Here is a link to more info on JB Weld.

Also from the sounds of this a piece of metal could have come up from the trans case and got stuck in the piston since it is open and by the way you describe the failure. You probably should RR the oil and clean the case while at it.

http://www.ytmag.com/reviews/review0398.htm

Carl

/ help with parts
Thanks for the idea. I will run it by the mechanic.

The downside to not replacing the casting is if nothing works, I still have labor time tied up. The rate is $45 hr and it is about a 6 hr job.

tuff decision..

/ help with parts #9  
cj7,

It is an easy job to RR the top cover, as I did it in under 3 hrs to remove and replace. Of course since it's already at the dealer you are sort of in a bind.

The 6 hr must be for the entire job, removal, analysis, and replacement? Seems high to me, as I did it on the L185 similar to the L2500 in most aspects, but I might be missing something.

Carl

/ help with parts
Carl

Yeah it is already at the dealer. The fluid cahnge is also included. It may not be that much time. I have (their word) I will only be charged for the time it does take. They admitt to purposefully estimate high.