Gator Mulcher Blades for Woods RM-660

/ Gator Mulcher Blades for Woods RM-660 #1  

Lane

Bronze Member
Does anyone know if Gator Mulcher Blades are available for the Woods RM-660 finishing mower and where to get them? Anyone ever use them on this mower? How did they do?

/ Gator Mulcher Blades for Woods RM-660 #2  
I had a 660 and had trouble leaving strips of grass ( OK yard is weeds) where the
blade overlap was.
Dealer said mow slower and more often, but it didn't help.
Local surplus store sells EVERYTHING(Glenn's surplus in Shelby OH.) they
have mower blades including Gators now.
I got 2 sets of std. blades for a JD 72" mower,blades were 1/2" longer,but center hole
was close to 1" and mower has 5/8" bolts so I turned some bushings to adapt them.
It mowed lots better, Gators weren't around then.
So u might be able to do same thing, I found other blades the same style but they
were for other direction.
I was up to the surplus store the other day trying to get another set of Gator blades
for my 84" MMM (4 spindle) but they didn't have anything even close because of the
odd length.
They got Gator book out and it lists blades by length and by mower,if u have a dealer
close look at there book and if u have to get the Deere blades andmake or buy some bushings.

I hope u understood this mess:)

PS I really like the Gators on my mower,I was mowing some 3' tall weeds and all that came
out was small pcs.

/ Gator Mulcher Blades for Woods RM-660 #3  
I put Gator blades on my Bobcat mower and used them a couple times. I put the regular blades back on. I did not think the finish cut was as smooth with the gators and it seemed to me to take more power to get through the same height grass than the regular blades.
But, the gator blades absolutely disintegratred the grass it did cut. I mean like little tiny pieces of grass leave the mower instead of just the top half of the grass you just cut. To me its a tradeoff. If I want a smoother cut I use the regular blades. If I want to mulch the heck out of the grass I use the gators. If I slowed down my ground speed I might just get a smoother cut and mulch too. I'll try that next spring. This fall I plan to turn all those leaves on the ground to dust with the gators. I hate to rake.

/ Gator Mulcher Blades for Woods RM-660 #4  
I haven't noticed any reduction in speed, where my yard is smooth
enough I can run about 6.5 mph w/ 7' MMM probably mow faster but have to go to high range.
The cut looks the same as rest of yard where I mowed slower.
Overall it looks lots better than w/ my old 6' RFM.

/ Gator Mulcher Blades for Woods RM-660
Thanks for the reply to my original question. Here is an update:

I found Gator Mulcher Magnum blades that are a direct bolt on to the Woods RM660. It is Gator part number 90.764. The blade is 24-1/2" long, 2-1/2" wide, .25" thick with a 5/8" center hole and is listed in their catalog for use on Scag 72" mowers. These are the same dimensions as the Woods OEM blade.

I bolted them on yesterday and attacked several acres of lawn covered with leaves. They really shred the daylights out of the leaves. Virtually no windrow is detectable after just a single pass. The amount of discharge appears to be only about 25% of the mower when OEM high lift blades are installed.

The quality of cut on grass compared to the OEM high lift blades will have to wait until spring to determine but at $20 per blade, for me they are worth it just for doing battle with the leaves (and winning). /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif