Brake repair on Ford 1710 tractor

/ Brake repair on Ford 1710 tractor #1  

robbert

Tractor
Ford 1710
My brakes are going out (and can't be adjusted anymore), but I only have the users manual. What will I find when I open up the nicely covered area that hides the brake pads? And once I open it, where can I buy new brake pads?

Obviously, I'm new to this..

/ Brake repair on Ford 1710 tractor #2  
Looks pretty basic. I haven't done a brake job on a 1710 but this is from CNH parts online and it looks very similar to other compact tractors I've seen. Pull the cover off and the brake shoes are right there, very similar to a basic setup on an auto or motorcycle....the shoes are easily removed. I have had similar experiences to what you described ( brakes no longer function w/adjustment) and so far w/o exception, when I open them up I have found that there has been plenty of pad left but the shoes and hub are glazed. I have has great luck with sand paper and a wire wheel on a drill or angle grinder removing the glaze ( wear a mask) and a good shot of brake cleaner on everything. Not saying this is your problem but from my experience I would say you have a chance that may be all it is.

If not, it looks like the shoes are still available from any Ford/New Holland dealer ( Messicks has them for $135) or you can get the shoe bands relined w/ material at local clutch/brake shop.

BTW: CNH parts online ( kind of hard to navigate at first) or Messicks is a great way to look up diagrams like I posted...type in your tractor model number and look at very detailed diagrams of whatever you need.

Attachments

• 1710.gif
    1710.gif
    52.3 KB · Views: 12,716
   / Brake repair on Ford 1710 tractor #3  
That is 135 per shoe X 4. Look on ebay or have yours relined.
Bill

/ Brake repair on Ford 1710 tractor
Thank you for your very usefull advice.
Now that I have my brake pads visible and new brake pads ready to be installed, I need to figure out how to remove the old brake pads. My question is: How do I get the springs off? Is there a trick? Or is brute force needed to unhook the springs?