One worn 4ply R-1; one new 8ply

/ One worn 4ply R-1; one new 8ply #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
is this as bad a combination as it seems? I'm rethinking my "buy local" strategy; I had shopped around last year, so when my tire failed I dropped it off at the local shop with the best price; only to be told that "prices have gone up" from $250, to $346. By the time they got done, I owe them nearly $500 for 1 tire on my little Kubota. (2 cans of primer@ $8.00 each!!) I'll pay it, but I'll never set foot in their shop again; I'll buy the other 3 tires online and mount them myself. I've already steered a friend elsewhere; she bought $650 worth of tires for her pickup from a discount store.

I know, should have done my homework; but I thought I did, & I've been doing business with these guys for years.
The worst part is, my neighbor just went in and put 2 new fronts on his Deere for $60 LESS than I was quoted last year; $240 out the door. Same tires, too; his old carcasses are going on my 'Bota.
End of rant.

/ One worn 4ply R-1; one new 8ply #2  
There is a local tire chain which, in every case I have first hand knowledge of, over charges and talks people into repairs which were (IMHO) unwanted, unnecessary and over priced. Net, I don't go there and warn everyone who is considering a tire purchase to not go there.

I understand your rant...and frustration....but best I can tell, nothing can be done but to avoid the place in the future and tell others to do so as well.

/ One worn 4ply R-1; one new 8ply #3  
tire prices are ridiculous every where. What is causing this? "oil shortage"?

/ One worn 4ply R-1; one new 8ply #4  
Don't be ridiculous, we all know what the problem is, the Bush that produces the rubber for the tires is to blame, blame the Bush, not the tire maker or some oil thing. :laughing:

tire prices are ridiculous every where. What is causing this? "oil shortage"?

/ One worn 4ply R-1; one new 8ply #6  
You are lucky.
You can shop for tires.

In my case there is only one source (Bridgstone) for my 9.5 X 19 turfs and I got the last pair in Canada!
Web searches don't even show my size.
By the time I had them mounted and filled with rimguard c/w new tubes I spent $900.
BTW, I will NEVER need to do that again as I will probably expire B4 the tires will. LOL!

But then they were so badly weather checked (not tread worn) that I feared an emminant blowout that would probably have occured at -30 deg 3 miles from home.
Plus the rims were badly corroded from calcium ballast that leaked.

Fortunately the truck tire center that installed them did a super job of cleaning the rims and painting them to prolong their life.

Shure glad I did not attempt a DIY job as the corroded valves blew liquid calcium about 20 ft in the air spraying everything in site.
Also they had the proper pumps to empty/fill the tires.
Took them 4.5 hours all told and all at the quoted flat rates.
Can't complain.