Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Default One worn 4ply R-1; one new 8ply

is this as bad a combination as it seems? I'm rethinking my "buy local" strategy; I had shopped around last year, so when my tire failed I dropped it off at the local shop with the best price; only to be told that "prices have gone up" from $250, to $346. By the time they got done, I owe them nearly $500 for 1 tire on my little kubota. (2 cans of primer@ $8.00 each!!) I'll pay it, but I'll never set foot in their shop again; I'll buy the other 3 tires online and mount them myself. I've already steered a friend elsewhere; she bought $650 worth of tires for her pickup from a discount store.

I know, should have done my homework; but I thought I did, & I've been doing business with these guys for years.
    The worst part is, my neighbor just went in and put 2 new fronts on his Deere for $60 LESS than I was quoted last year; $240 out the door. Same tires, too; his old carcasses are going on my 'Bota.
    End of rant.

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Default Re: One worn 4ply R-1; one new 8ply

There is a local tire chain which, in every case I have first hand knowledge of, over charges and talks people into repairs which were (IMHO) unwanted, unnecessary and over priced. Net, I don't go there and warn everyone who is considering a tire purchase to not go there.

I understand your rant...and frustration....but best I can tell, nothing can be done but to avoid the place in the future and tell others to do so as well.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH 3040

tire prices are ridiculous every where. What is causing this? "oil shortage"?
    NH 3040 fel 6' cutter
    JD 737 zero turn
    polaris ranger xp
    99 honda 300
    trek 5900 nobody knows what that is.

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

Don't be ridiculous, we all know what the problem is, the Bush that produces the rubber for the tires is to blame, blame the Bush, not the tire maker or some oil thing.

Quote Originally Posted by doall View Post
    tire prices are ridiculous every where. What is causing this? "oil shortage"?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH 3040

That's funny.
    NH 3040 fel 6' cutter
    JD 737 zero turn
    polaris ranger xp
    99 honda 300
    trek 5900 nobody knows what that is.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

You are lucky.
    You can shop for tires.

In my case there is only one source (Bridgstone) for my 9.5 X 19 turfs and I got the last pair in Canada!
    Web searches don't even show my size.
    By the time I had them mounted and filled with rimguard c/w new tubes I spent $900.
    BTW, I will NEVER need to do that again as I will probably expire B4 the tires will. LOL!

But then they were so badly weather checked (not tread worn) that I feared an emminant blowout that would probably have occured at -30 deg 3 miles from home.
    Plus the rims were badly corroded from calcium ballast that leaked.

Fortunately the truck tire center that installed them did a super job of cleaning the rims and painting them to prolong their life.

Shure glad I did not attempt a DIY job as the corroded valves blew liquid calcium about 20 ft in the air spraying everything in site.
    Also they had the proper pumps to empty/fill the tires.
    Took them 4.5 hours all told and all at the quoted flat rates.
    Can't complain.